List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

List entry Number: 1292816

Location

PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
KentTonbridge and MallingDistrict AuthorityWest Malling

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Aug-1959

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Nov-1993

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 392391

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WEST MALLING

TQ6757 HIGH STREET 1156-0/2/68 Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin 25/08/59 (Formerly Listed as: HIGH STREET Church of St Mary)

GV II*

Parish church. Norman West tower, C13 chancel, vestry C14 and C15 altered in C20 with nave and aisles of 1901-3 by Micklethwaite mainly replacing an earlier classical design of 1778 by Guilt. Built of ragstone rubble, nave and aisles of coursed rubble with Bath stone dressings and Portland stone plinth. Tiled roof and shingled spire. West tower, nave with north and south aisles, north porch, chancel and vestry. West tower of 3 stages. Crenellated parapet and broached shingled spire surmounted by gilded weathervane. Corner buttresses. West face has louvred lancet window to bell storey. Ground floor has arched doorcase with renewed hood moulding and C18 6-panelled arched door, 1 panel having metal grille. South face has 1 lancet to lower floors and large gault brick round-headed arch to bell stage. East face has 2 louvred trefoiled windows to bell stage. Broached shingled spire. Nave and aisles are of galleted ragstone blocks with Bath stone dressings and Portland stone plinth. Clerestorey. Crenellated parapet to aisles. North aisle has 2 triple Kentish traceried windows, buttress and gabled porch with cross-shaped saddlestone. South aisle has 3 similar windows. West wall of south aisle has remains of 1778 aisle with Portland stone end quoins. East wall of nave, north aisle, and south aisle retains c1778 end wall with oculus with 4 keystones to Nave dated 1780, Portland stone quoins and cambered blocked windows with keystones to north and south aisles. Later cross-shaped saddlestone to apex of gable. Chancel has restored triple lancet east window and north front has 2 restored lancets and C13 arched doorcase with dogtooth moulding. Vestry attached to south is C14 and C15 in origin but much restored in C20. Built of stone rubble with band of ironstone, ironstone door surround and timber-framed gable. Interior: Nave of 4 bays with half bay at west end with organ gallery over. Balcony has in centre elaborately carved wooden arms of James II. Organ gallery has 2 wooden and 2 stone tablets with list of benefactions. Gallery stairs have unusual fretted balustrading and squared newel posts with finial. Font in C14 style and C18 style Wren style font. Aisle walls have series of good C18 wall monuments. Floor slabs including one basalt slab. 5 canted boarded roof with crenellations. Chancel has C13 collar beam roof, C14 archway to vestry in south wall and remains of C13 sedilia which was partially obscured by the early C17 Brett Monument. This is a fine monument in alabaster and plaster to Sir Robert Brett d 1620, his wife and son. This comprizes a deep plinth and round-headed canopy over supported on double Ionic columns with decorations of shields and putti. Full-sized horizontal effigies of Sir Robert and Lady Brett in attitudes of prayer with kneeling daughter to right and skeleton in shroud to left. C17 wall tablet to Dame Jane Fitzjames to north aisle. Early C16 brass to Elizabeth Pierrepoint, but only the top half of the body survives and brass to William Millys d 1497, 15 1/2in brass of a civilian. Good C18 wall tablets. (Buildings of England: Newman J: West Kent and the Weald: 575-576).

Listing NGR: TQ6789657537

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Newman, J - Title: The Buildings of England: West Kent and the Weald - Date: 1980 - Page References: 575-576

National Grid Reference: TQ 67899 57538

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Sep-2014 at 04:56:08.