List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1292805

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH DRIVE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireHarboroughDistrict AuthorityGilmorton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 11-Jan-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 392528

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GILMORTON SP5787 CHURCH DRIVE 1323-0 8/39 (West side) 11/01/55 Church of All Saints II*

Parish church. C14 and C15 tower, with nave, aisles and chancel of 1860-61, by William Smith. Porch 1897. Tower rebuilt in 1909 by C A Bassett-Smith. Granite facings to all except tower, with Attleborough and Ancaster stone dressings arranged slightly polychromatically. Random rubble stone tower with dressed stone octagonal spire. Plain slate roofs, separately over aisles, nave and chancel. West tower, nave with north and south aisles and north porch, and chancel with north lean-to vestry. Unbuttressed two-stage tower with crenellated parapet to octagonal broach spire with two levels of wooden lucarnes on the cardinal faces. Weather vane. Clock face on north side of spire. Taller nave roof, lower aisle and chancel roofs. Four aisle windows to south and north, all slightly different and in a vigorous early C14 style. Gabled north porch (dated 1897) to right with wave-moulded outer arch on three orders of columns. Simpler south door with double hollow-chamfered arch. East window of south aisle in form of three lights surmounted by three quatrefoils, east window of north aisle of three quatrefoils in roundel. Two-bay chancel with windows only to south. East window of three lights surmounted by roundel of four quatrefoils and with flanking trefoils. Interior: three-bay north and south arcades with polychromatic double-chamfered arches carried on round piers with differing capitals in French style C13 style. Double-chamfered tower arch with inner roll-moulding on octagonal piers. Fittings: mostly 1860-61, including pews, wooden pulpit and wrought-iron screen to Smith's design. Stained glass: east window, 1878, by Burlison and Grylls. Lady Chapel Ascension, 1896, by Shrigley and Hunt. All the rest by Kempe, and Kempe and Co, 1884-1906. Smith's stone-carver was Poole and wood-carver Forsyth. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N, Williamson E, Brandwood G: Leicestershire and Rutland: London: 1984-: 161).

Listing NGR: SP5701587868

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Williamson, E - Title: The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland - Date: 1984 - Page References: 161

National Grid Reference: SP 57015 87868

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2014 at 03:18:27.