List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST RHADEGUND

List entry Number: 1292740

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST RHADEGUND, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Isle of WightUnitary AuthorityNiton and Whitwell

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 18-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 392824

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NITON AND WHITWELL

SZ57NW HIGH STREET, Whitwell 1353-0/6/198 Church of St Mary and St Rhadegund 18/01/67 II*

Parish Church. Unusually built as 2 chapels side by side, St Rhadegund in C12 and the chapel of the Virgin added c1200. Nave C12, chancel and south aisle C13, the south aisle widened in the late C15 or early C16 when the south chapel, south porch and tower were added and the solid wall between the original chapels was removed. Interior restored by R J Jones. Built of Isle of Wight stone rubble with tiled roof, the south porch with stone slab roof. West tower late C15 or early C16 of 2 stages with angled buttresses. Crenellated parapet. Lower stage has arched window with hood moulding. South porch also late C15 or early C16, gabled with stone slab roof, the interior rib vaulted with stone seat. South aisle has 2 paired cinquefoil headed windows with drip-moulding and buttress. Graphite on wall RMN 1589 and carved shield. South chapel has 2 tiers of 2 cinquefoil headed lights. Nave has 3 triple cinquefoil headed lights with hood moulding and buttresses. Chancel east window has 2 cinquefoil lancets with hood moulding and grotesques. Interior has C12 3 bay arcade with one round-headed and one slightly pointed arch with round piers; square abaci with chamfered corners. South chapel arch has a Norman north respond with scalloped capitals. Modern crown post roofs and barrel vaulted ceilings. Octagonal stone font. 1623 cherry wood pulpit with blank arches and carved panels with arabesques above. Chancel has piscina with shelf. South chapel has C17 wooden altar and piscina. (Pevsner: B.O.E. Hampshire and the Isle of Wight: 775).

Listing NGR: SZ5217777773

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight - Date: 1967 - Page References: 775

National Grid Reference: SZ 52177 77773

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2014 at 04:49:29.