List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: YARMOUTH CASTLE

List entry Number: 1292631

Location

YARMOUTH CASTLE, QUAY STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Isle of WightUnitary AuthorityYarmouth

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 28-Mar-1994

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 393277

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YARMOUTH

SZ3589 QUAY STREET 1354-0/10/383 (North side) Yarmouth Castle

I

Former coastal fort now a Scheduled Ancient Monument. Begun after the French raid of 1545, the last of Henry VIII's coastal forts and in use by 1547. Builder George Mills. The arrow-headed bastion was a new departure in fortifications and the first to be built in England. c.1560. The building was modified by Richard Worsley, Captain of the Island and minor alterations were made in the following century until c.1670 when Sir Robert Holmes, Governor of the Island filled in the moat, renewed additions and established the present entrance. It was garrisoned until 1885. Built of ashlar, part of south front red brick. Square in plan with sides nearly 100 feet long and sharply pointed bastion at South east corner. North and west walls face the sea, South and east sides originally were protected by a moat. The original entrance was to the east with 4 centred arched entrance with carved royal coat of arms above. The present entrance in the south side also has a 4 centred archway. To the right is the early C17 gunner's lodging and brick magazine of c.1718 which has a beehive-shaped roof. To the left is the Master Gunner's house of c1560 with top storey added in 1609. This is of ashlar with renewed slate roof having gable ends with kneelers. 3 storeys. 3 windows. Attic floor has gabled dormers with kneelrs. Mullioned windows 4 centred arched doorcase to left hand side. Ground floor kitchen has massive wooden lintel to fireplace and bread-oven. Corner has garderobe pit. One 1st floor chamber has a C17 stone fireplace with plain chamfer end beam with ovolo moulding and bar stops. The other chamber has a 4 centred arched fireplace and beam with heart shaped stops (1609), 4 centred arched fireplace with high stops and relieving arch and small garderobe chamber in the corner with square- headed opening. Attic room over kitchen has renewed roof of scalloped principal rafters and tie beam with heart-shaped stop. Attic room over parlour has C17 brick fireplace and plain collar beam roof. To the right hand side in the Long Room of 1632 constructed on top of 4 earlier barrel vaults. This is of brick with tiled roof and has a roof structure with tie beams and collar. The platform was constructed between 1559-1565 to carry all the heavier armament of the castle parapet with parapet of 1632. Its rounded internal angles date from 1813. It has the remains of 4 rails from the traversing carriage of C19 guns. (S E Rigold: Yarmouth Castle 2nd edition 1978 an English Heritage handbook; V C H Hampshire: 289; N Pevsner: B O E Hampshire: 776 - 777).

Listing NGR: SZ3538889774

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Doubleday, AH - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight - Date: 1912 - Volume: 5 - Page References: 289
  2. Article  Reference - Author: Rigold, S E - Title: Yarmouth Castle - Date: 1978 - Journal Title: English Heritage Handbook
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight - Date: 1967 - Page References: 776-777

National Grid Reference: SZ 35388 89774

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Aug-2014 at 07:16:25.