List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1292319

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, LUTTERWORTH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireHarboroughDistrict AuthorityBitteswell

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 11-Jan-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 392504

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BITTESWELL LUTTERWORTH ROAD SP58NW 1323-0 3/15 (North side) 11/01/55 Church of St Mary II*

Church. C13 and C14, extended 1852 by W Parsons and altered and extended by Walter F Lyon in 1881-82. Random rubble stone with dressed quoins, gable parapets and crenellated side parapets to nave. Plain slate roofs. West tower, nave with south porch and north aisle, north vestry and chancel. Three-stage tower of C13/C14 with stepped angle buttresses. Deep recess on north side of tower with Perpendicular-style panelled soffit and hollow-chamfered arch. Short recessed spire. two-light square-headed belfry openings. Nave with three windows to south of C14, restored in C19. Aisle to north of 1881-82. Gabled south porch with double chamfers to arch and dripmould. Chancel rebuilt in 1881-82, two windows to south and vestry to north. Interior: double chamfered C14 tower arch. Three-bay north aisle with double-chamfered arcade on octagonal piers. Ceiling probably C19 with ribs and flattish vault. C19 chancel arch, double-chamfered on attached octagonal piers. Triple-chamfered round arch inside tower, west of tower arch, purpose unknown. Fittings: benches, font, pulpit, all C19. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N, Williamson E, Brandwood G: Leicestershire and Rutland: London: 1984-: 103).

Listing NGR: SP5373385855

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland, (1984), 103

National Grid Reference: SP 53733 85855

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Nov-2014 at 11:48:46.