List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST PETER

List entry Number: 1292310

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST PETER, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OldhamMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 23-Jan-1973

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 388885

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

OLDHAM

SD9205SE CHURCH STREET 780-1/5/23 (South side) 23/01/73 Church of St Mary and St Peter

GV II*

Parish church. 1827-30. By Richard Lane. Coursed and squared rubble with Welsh slate roof. West tower with clasping porches, nave and aisles under a single roof. Simple gothic style. 4-stage west tower with doorway in Perpendicular arch with shafts, flanked by foiled moulded panels, with corbel table and quatrefoil frieze over. Large 3-light, 2 tier Perpendicular window over with crocketed hood mould. Low stage housing clock above, and acanthus frieze below 2-tier bell chamber lights. Trefoiled frieze below embattled parapet. Polygonal angle buttresses form pinnacles. Narrow blind panelled bay with terminal polygonal buttresses and pinnacles links the tower to the north and south porches which clasp it. These have 2-tier 3-light windows in west walls and buttresses on outer angles. Doorways to north and south in wide shallow segmental arch with shafts and crocketed hood mould over. Blind foiled niche over doors, and embattled parapet. Each aisle is identical, divided into 6 bays by buttresses which terminate as pinnacles. Angles marked by heavier polygonal buttresses and pinnacles with coronets. Each bay has 3-light 2 tier window with shafts. Additional entrance porches to east of aisles, with shafts and moulding to archway. Shallow chancel with high roof and trefoiled frieze below parapet and polygonal buttresses. City arms in relief over 4-light east window which has slender tracery. 2 symmetrical vestries added to east, 1967. Interior: North and south entrance lobbies each with shallow stone spiral staircase with cast iron balustrades giving access to upper galleries. 6 bay arcade with slender (possibly cast iron) clustered columns with high bases, foliate capitals and roll moulded arches. Sexpartite vaulted ceiling with bosses. Galleried on three sides, with additional cast-iron columns supporting the gallery across the west. Lozenge panelling with quatrefoil decoration to front of galleries. Organ in western gallery. Wide chancel arch to shallow chancel. Early C20 oak fittings, including pews and dado panelling throughout. Chancel has panelling with integral canopied sedilia, dated 1933. Triptych behind altar, by E.Stanley Watkins, 1908. Christ in Majesty, in a neo-medieval style but including representations of leading historical figures of the church in England. Side chapel in north aisle also has triptych of 1908 by E.Stanley Watkins. Similar style though more ornate triptych form with arched hinged panels. The church was refitted circa 1975 by Stephen Dykes Bower: complete frescoed interior with geometrical painted panelling using late medieval emblems (quatrefoils, fleurs de lys etc), in rich colours. Altar rails and lectern designed to echo the simple geometry of the window tracery which was renewed at the same time. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner, Nikolaus: South Lancashire: Harmondsworth: 1969-).



Listing NGR: SD9272905112

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South Lancashire, (1969)

National Grid Reference: SD 92729 05112

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Nov-2014 at 12:34:46.