List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1292270

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, MARKET PLACE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
StaffordshireLichfieldDistrict AuthorityLichfield

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 05-Feb-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 382675

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LICHFIELD

SK1109NE MARKET PLACE 1094-1/5/119 (South side) 05/02/52 Church of St Mary

II*

Church, the medieval guild church, adapted to include heritage centre, old people's day centre. Rebuilt 1868-70, by James Fowler of Louth; tower casing and steeple, 1853, by GE Street; adapted 1979-81. Rock-faced stone with ashlar dressings; tile roofs. Decorated style. PLAN: 3-bay chancel with 2-bay north Dyott chapel and south vestry and organ loft; 5-bay nave with lean-to aisles and west tower and spire. Plinth and coped gables; geometrical tracery to windows. EXTERIOR: chancel has clasping buttresses with pinnacles, 7-light window on weathered sill, gable cross; 2-light clerestory windows to north and south over lean-to chapel and vestry; chapel and vestry have angle buttresses with pinnacles and symbols of Evangelists (John and Luke), coped parapets; chapel has 3-light east window and 2 north windows of 2 lights; vestry has 2-light window to left of entrance with beast stops to breaks in sill course, C20 entrance to east end. Clerestory has 2 windows of 2 lights to each bay between shallow buttresses; aisles have coped parapets and 3-light windows between gabled buttresses, west angle buttresses with pinnacles and symbols of Evangelists (Matthew and Mark) and 3-light windows; north entrance of 3 orders in shallow gabled porch, gable with blind plate tracery, good carved foliage to capitals and hood stops: C20 doors, C20 inserted entrance to east end and C20 inserted west window. Ashlar tower has gabled angle buttresses with top blind tracery panels; west entrance of 3 orders with crocketed gable with pinnacles, cinquefoil inner arch and paired doors with rich strap hinges, gable has trefoil; 4-light west window on deep weathered sill, upper triangular-headed blind tracery panels and paired 2-light louvred bell-openings with crocketed gables; quatrefoil frieze and pinnacles; spire has 3 tiers of lucarnes, 3-, 2-, and 1-light. INTERIOR (now sub-divided): chancel has 2-bay arcade to chapel with good foliate capitals, chancel arch of one order with corbelled inner arch, arch-braced roof on corbelled wall shafts; C20 glazing to arcade and infill to chancel arch; nave has arcades with foliate capitals, roof has arch-braced scissor trusses, double purlins and wind braces; tower has blocked 3-light windows to north and south, deeply splayed tower arch. Fittings: richly carved altar, reredos and panelling to east wall, sedilia recess with deep canopy to south, vestry door of 2 orders and good organ case, war memorial to north of altar, timber stalls and altar rail; north aisle has triptych in alabaster frame: The Adoration of the Magi. Monuments: several C18 and C19 wall tablets to members of the Dyott family in the chapel; good memorial to C17 members of the family, 1662, recording their service in the Civil War, panel in form of banner in slate border and eared architrave, broken pediment with armorial bearing, apron with festoon and cherub. Stained glass: some good C19 and C20 glass, especially good east window, possibly Clayton and Bell, grisaille glass to tower window. The church although altered, is important to the history of Lichfield, and preserves many original features; the steeple is a prominent landmark in the city. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Staffordshire: London: 1974-: P.190; Lichfield Heritage and Treasury Exhibition: Lichfield: 1981-; Victoria History of the County of Stafford: Greenslade M W: Lichfield: Oxford: 1990-: P.140-3).

Listing NGR: SK1176109547

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Stafford, (1990), 140-3

National Grid Reference: SK 11761 09547

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Dec-2014 at 04:36:15.