List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1291897

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, LONGEDGE LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
DerbyshireNorth East DerbyshireDistrict AuthorityWingerworth

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 31-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 393548

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WINGERWORTH SK36NE LONGEDGE LANE 1264-0/6/147 (South side (off)) 31/01/67 Church of All Saints

I

Parish church. Early C12, C13, late C14 and late C15. Extended 1963-4 by Naylor, Sale & Widdows. Sandstone ashlar and rubble with C20 extension of coursed sandstone with concrete dressings. Roofs of lead and slate. The pre-C20 church comprises a west tower, nave, lower chancel, north aisle, south porch, and north-east Hunloke Mausoleum. A large C20 extension containing a new nave extends northwards at right angles from the earlier north aisle. The west tower is of 3 stages with angle buttresses and with a lead pyramid roof behind embattled parapets with gargoyles. The bell openings are of 2 lights under pointed arches with Perpendicular tracery. The west window is of 3 lights under a Tudor-arched head. To its right is a stair doorway. On the south side is a sundial dated '1770'. The south nave wall is of rubble below and of ashlar at clerestorey level above mullioned window of 3 cusped lights under a flat head. Above there is a C18 window with plain stone surround, formerly lighting a gallery. To the east of the porch are 2 mullioned windows with flat heads, the left-hand one with 3 trefoiled ogee lights and the right-hand one of 2 trefoiled lights. Above are 3 clerestorey windows, each of 2 cinquefoiled lights. To the right of the porch there is a blocked round-arched doorway. The C19 porch is of ashlar with embattled parapets. The outer chamfered archway is pointed and the gable parapet above is curved to follow the line of the arch. The inner porch doorway has a round arch with an outer roll-moulded order and with angle shafts which have fluted capitals. The chancel was extensively restored in the mid C19, but 3 chamfered lancet windows of c1200 remain in the south wall. To the right of the left-hand window is a C19 chamfered pointed doorway. The east window is of 3 lights with chamfered mullions under a flat head. At the north-east side the Hunloke Mausoleum is now a vestry and includes a doorway with a lintel inscribed 'HH 1783'. The C20 extension is lit by long horizontal windows in the east and west walls, divided by concrete mullions. INTERIOR: the internal walls are whitewashed and the floor covered by sandstone flags. The tower arch is pointed and chamfered, with the inner order having corbels as responds. The outline of a round archway can be seen in the masonry of the south wall. The 3-bay north arcade has round arches with an outer square order and inner chamfered order springing from round piers and semicircular responds, all with simply moulded capitals. Some traces of wall painting are visible on the west arch: red scrollwork and blue background painting. The 3 northern clerestorey windows aria visible internally and are each of 2 cinquefoiled lights. The open boarded timber nave roof is of very shallow pitch and has exposed rafters, purlins, and tie beams with king posts. The chancel archway has a depressed plastered round arch with sandstone reveals and plain imposts. The soffit of the arch is decorated with late C12 wall painting with roundels containing the head of Christ and 4 saints. To the north of the arch is a squint. Above is a timber rood canopy with embattled top beam and with carved bosses at the intersections of its ribs. The rood stairs from the north aisle remain. The inner lintel of the east chancel window is of oak and has a central carved head of a 'green man'. The C19 roof has 2 bolted king-post trusses. A wide and shallow segmental archway opens from the original north aisle into the C20 nave, which is of 6 bays divided by concrete arches. The plain cylindrical sandstone font appears to be Norman, but is re-set on a later base. Set into the floor at the east end of the chancel is the recumbent effigy of a priest, of c1200. Set into the chancel window, to the right of the altar, are some fragments of Flemish glass which are said to be C14.

Listing NGR: SK3832267453

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 38322 67454

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Dec-2014 at 05:10:10.