List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST CUBY

List entry Number: 1291868

Location

CHURCH OF ST CUBY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CornwallUnitary AuthorityCuby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 30-May-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 62837

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SW 94 NW CUBY TREGONY

2/2 Church of St Cuby - 30-5-67 GV I

Parish church. Dedicated to St Cuby circa C6. Present structure is C12, C14, C15, partly rebuilt and lengthened 1828 and restored by St Aubyn circa 1899. Slatestone rubble, granite dressings and Delabole slate roofs with gable ends. Nave, chancel, west tower, north transept, south aisle and south porch. North wall mostly rebuilt 1828 but earlier walling survives to left of transept with blocked 4 centred arched opening probably C15, also short length to right of transept. Only windows are two 3 light granite mullions with squat tracery under segmental arched openings probably 1828. Plinth reused. Straight joint to external stair turret of tower. North transept walling is probably the earliest part of the church which survives in situ and is battered. Blocked window to north gable with sill and 2 jamb stones showing. Cusped headed wooden window to east and west walls and arched doorway to west are probably C20. South aisle east window and chancel window are Perpendicular style and inserted in 1899 to 1828 walling. South aisle walling is C15 interfered with in 1828 and 1899. C19 granite window to left of porch and 3 to right have 3 arch headed lights within C19 cambered heads. Porch rebuilt 1828 above arched opening and much moulded and carved granite of the Norman period remains; capitals and round headed arch of door; wall plates; ribs to internal barrel vault; benches; Kings heads to central rib boss, further ones to plaster barrel, flanking door arch in the form of label stops and one over door. Barrel vault is rebuilt slightly pointed to fit 2 centred granite inner doorframe probably C14 and partly obscures niche over thus showing that porch stonework altered. Sun dial to porch gable and stone fragment of arch inscribed GK 1723 to left of door. Perpendicular style granite west window of south aisle is probably 1899. 2 stage west tower is probably late C14 and has north west and south west diagonal buttresses with offsets, stair turret to north at east end, plinth and strings with ashlar battlements and slender corner crested pinnacles. West door is 2 centred with hood mould and relieving arch. Similar hood mould and relieving arch to cusped 2 light window with quatrefoil tracery over. Similar windows with slate louvres to upper stage. Interior of nave has 4 centred arch with standard A type (Pevsner) responds to north transept, recess of blocked opening to east of transept and 6 bay arcade between nave/chancel and south aisle with octagonal piers and 4 centred arches of 1899 rebuild but including 2 reused C15 pier shafts at east end. Tower arch is tall and pointed with 2 centred door from tower to stair turret. Roofs of 1899 over nave, chancel and south aisle are arch braced. Fittings: Norman font is round carved bowl over round central shaft with corner lugs carved with heads to form capitals of 4 shafts supported on moulded and carved bases; hexagonal pulpit incorporating 5 C15 carved oak bench and panels; pitch pine pews C19; James II painted coat of arms (one of only 4 in Cornwall), painted coat of arms of 1831 small C17 oak panel with guilloche moulding in chancel. Monuments include memorial tablet in the form of fat crucifix with bead and reel enriched oval border surrounding shield and inscription to Hugh Pomeroy 1644; a tablet with draped urn on south wall to Flag Lieutenant Frank Woodridge 1833 and a small stone tablet on arcade respond by tower arch inscribed P C 1712 with pierced hearts carving under. Belfry not inspected.

Listing NGR: SW9276245254

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SW 92762 45252

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2014 at 11:05:17.