List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ELLEN WILKINSON HIGH SCHOOL

List entry Number: 1291812

Location

ELLEN WILKINSON HIGH SCHOOL, HYDE ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ManchesterMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 03-Oct-1974

Date of most recent amendment: 06-Jun-1994

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 388201

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MANCHESTER

SJ8596 HYDE ROAD, Ardwick 698-1/21/481 (North side) 03/10/74 Ellen Wilkinson High School (Formerly Listed as: HYDE ROAD, Ardwick (North side) Nicholls Ardwick High School)

GV II*

Formerly known as: Nicholls Hospital HYDE ROAD Ardwick. Charity school, now High School. 1867-80, by Thomas Worthington, for Benjamin Nicholls. Red brick with sandstone dressings and steeply-pitched slate roofs. Rectangular double-pile main range, with various extensions and additions to rear. Gothic style. Two high storeys with basement and attic, 11 bays, symmetrical, with central tower breaking forwards; deep stone sill-bands to all floors, small stone tourelles to the corners, gabled stone half-dormers, and central tower rising 2 stages above the eaves, with machicolated stone parapet and corner tourelles, and steep saddle-back roof with gableted 3-light windows and ridge cresting. The entrance in the base of the tower, approached by a long flight of steps with stone balustrades, has a 2-centred arched doorway with moulded surround and double-doors with Gothic panelling, flanked by canopied Gothic niches; the 1st and 2nd floors have a tiered stone oriel with stepped parapet rising to a canopied niche flanked by lancets at 3rd floor. The 5-bay side ranges have stone cross-windows to all floors, all with quoined surrounds and those at 1st floor with straight dripmoulds; and the attic dormers are slightly corbelled out and have Gothic enrichment. Stone coping to the gables with heraldic finials. Interior not inspected. History: established by Benjamin Nicholls as memorial to his son John Ashton Nicholls, died in 1859 after a short life of service to the poor of Ancoats and Ardwick. Forms group with forecourt wall, gate piers and gates (q.v.), and with memorials to Benjamin Nicholls (q.v.) and John Ashton Nicholls (q.v.).

Listing NGR: SJ8573496978

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 85734 96978

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Aug-2014 at 06:22:40.