List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHAPEL OF ST MARY MAGDALENE

List entry Number: 1291332

Location

CHAPEL OF ST MARY MAGDALENE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CornwallUnitary AuthorityLezant

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1960

Date of most recent amendment: 11-May-1989

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 393657

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEZANT TRECARRELL SX 37 NW 5/68 Chapel of St Mary Magdalene (formerly 22.11.60 listed as Chapel at Trecarrel)

GV I

Domestic chapel. Early C16, probably for Sir Henry Trecarrel with minor later alterations and repairs. Granite ashlar; slate roof with coped verges. Single- cell plan with moulded plinth, eaves cornice and stepped angle buttresses. South side has lean-to staircase projection to west with small narrow chamfered rectangular window to west face. Tiny square chamfered window directly below eaves to east lit former west gallery. 4-centred window to east with square label-stops to hoodmould has 3 cinquefoil-headed lights with quatrefoils above. Similar east window has carved decoration to label-stops; late C20 granite cross to gable. Another similar window to east on north side has incised crosses to label-stops. Tiny window to west corresponding with that on south and lean-to projection (top rebuilt in rubblestone) formerly with stack, also in same position as that on south. West wall has Tudor-arched doorway with carved spandrels, square label-stops and plank door with strap hinges. Interior: Exposed waggon roof has 3 rails, moulded to east end and plain to west; wallplate also carved to east end. C20 slate floor with original step up to sanctuary. This has trefoil-headed piscinae in north and south walls and granite pillars with moulded plinths and capitals (for statues) to either side of east window. West gallery now removed but tiny windows in north and wouth walls are splayed to admit more light. Staircase also gone but garderobe and fireplace remain at former first-floor level to north projection; unidentified recess to ground floor. Excavations at the chapel in 1980s produced evidence for the wooden posts supporting the gallery and also for earlier buildings on the site, both ecclesiastical and before that agricultural. The glazing in the windows is late C20 and it is likely that the chapel originally had portable glass. The iron bars, however are probably original or C17. It has been suggested that the western gallery was for the use of a resident chaplain. A chapel was first licensed here in 1405. Scheduled Ancient monument, County No 577. BOE p 223; M G V Balchin, The Cornish Landscape (1983), p 100; W G Hoskins, The Making of the English Landscapes (1977 edn), p 130 pl 30; Margaret Wood, The English Medieval House (1965) p 238; E M Jope Cornish Houses, 1400-1700 in E M Jope (ed), Studies in Building History (1961) pp 202-4: Information from owner, N H Burden Esq.

Listing NGR: SX3177978258

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Balchin, WGV, The Cornish Landscape, (1983), 100
Hoskins, WG, The Making of the English Landscape, (1977), 130
Jope, E M, Studies in Building History Cornish Houses 1400-1700, (1961), 202-4
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970), 223
Wood, E , The English Medieval House, (1965), 238

National Grid Reference: SX 31780 78259

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Nov-2014 at 06:26:22.