List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: UNITARIAN CHAPEL

List entry Number: 1291252

Location

UNITARIAN CHAPEL, KING EDWARD STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire EastUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-Apr-1949

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 391021

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MACCLESFIELD

SJ9173NE KING EDWARD STREET 886-1/10/115 (South side) 14/04/49 Unitarian Chapel

GV II*

Unitarian chapel. Dated 1690, with C19 alterations. Coursed and squared rubble with plinth, and stone-flagged roof. Galleried interior expressed as 2 storeys, 6-window range. EXTERIOR: external staircases giving access to galleries at each side, the lower doorways beneath the stairway. Ogee arched upper doorway, shallow segmental arches to lower openings. Windows are 2- and 3-light mullions, with traceried glazing, renewed in 1929, with the exception of the central windows on each floor, which were then blocked on the inside, and which retain their C19 glazing - interlace tracery with coloured glass margin lights. INTERIOR: entered via a lobby passage to west. Fittings mainly date from early re-ordering of 1846 and form a coherent design. Galleries to east and west, a former south gallery removed in C19. Blind trefoiled panelling of gallery echoed in panels between queen posts of roof structure, and in wall panelling to north and south. 2-decker pulpit in centre of north wall, with suspended sounding board. Plain panelled, with turned balusters to stairs. Pews mainly C19. Gilded cusped tracery to wall panels each side of pulpit, with painted prayers. The panelling was extended across the windows each side of the pulpit in 1929. Organ of 1846 on east gallery. The chapel is built to exactly the same design as other late C17 Unitarian chapels in Knutsford and Wilmslow.

Listing NGR: SJ9168273804

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 91680 73805

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2014 at 05:52:29.