List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: LODGE FARMHOUSE 140 METRES FROM ROAD

List entry Number: 1290605

Location

LODGE FARMHOUSE 140 METRES FROM ROAD, CHAPEL LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireEast HertfordshireDistrict AuthorityLittle Hadham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 30-Apr-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 394857

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 42 SW & LITTLE HADHAM CHAPEL LANE TL 4322 (north side) Hadham Ford

1/2 & 7/2 Lodge Farmhouse 140 metres from road -

- II*

House. C15 or earlier, reduced, altered in mid C19, extended c.1925. T-shaped. Former farmhouse facing E. 2 storeys, timber framed and plastered, with steep old red tiled gabled roof. External gable chimney on S; lateral chimney on rear wall at junction with rear wing; internal gable chimney at N. Roughcast E front in two parts both of 3 windows with half-glazed door under central window of each group. C19 flush sashes with 2/2 panes. Gabled, tiled hood to S door, the N part of E front represents an extension c.1925 on the site of part of a medieval range then long demolished. The S part and rear wing are medieval and represent 4 structural bays of a lofty open hall house with a narrow central bay for the cross passage. The 2 bays at the S end have a cellar and a fine collar-purlin roof with tall octagonal crown post with moulded cap and base. The timbers are massive, well-finished and chamfered, with heavy club-shaped jowls to bay posts. The roof here is not soot- blackened and has a closed partition on the N which, with a similar partition a little further to the N, defines the cross passage. The N face of the second partition looked into the hall and it and the roof are heavily sooted. The close-studded partition contains a central post braced down to the tie beam and carrying the collar purlin. The splendid 3 arc, segmental-arched braced tie beam of the central truss of the hall survives on the 1st floor, and has massive double chamfered members. The octagonal crown post over is similar to that over the upper room at the S end, and is braced to the collar purlin only. This has a through-splayed and tabled scarf joint (the trait-de-Jupiter) over the S wing, supported by the brace from the crown post. The rear wing is of heavy timbers but less well-finished and adjoined the W side of the medieval hall just N of the W door of the cross passage. The N end of the medieval house was demolished as far as the N face of the central truss of the hall, and was only extended to the N again c.1925. The hall roof shows evidence of being ceiled under the collars, and the infill panels of the partition being whitened, leaving the soot blackened timbers exposed between for contrast. This is probably the house or lodge mentioned in the later C16 as being in the park attached to the Bishop of Ely's manor of Little Hadham (VCH (1914) 54).

Listing NGR: TL4300022162

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Doubleday, AH - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Hertford - Date: 1914 - Page References: 54

National Grid Reference: TL 43000 22162

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Jul-2014 at 08:16:20.