List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF AT ALBAN THE MARTYR

List entry Number: 1290539

Location

CHURCH OF AT ALBAN THE MARTYR, CONYBERE STREET B12

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
BirminghamMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Apr-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 217000

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CONYBERE STREET 1. 5104 Highgate B12 Church of St Alban the Martyr (formerly listed under Bordesley) SP 08 NE 7/25 25.4.52 II* 2. 1879-81 by J L Pearson. A large Early English style church of cruciform plan. Red brick with ashlar dressings and some diaper work. Severe extension relying on play of brick against stone except at west end. Very tall clerestory above aisles, steep slated roofs, buttressed apsidal chancel. The west end is flanked by buttressed turrets with stone spired, open lancet arcaded, caps. Shallow narthex, doorway porch with multi shafted orders and applied gable against blind arcade with quatrefoils above; the recessed plane with 3 centred arch contains trefoiled rose window above lancet arcade. Pearson's south-west tower and its intended spire, was hardly begun and the existing unsympathetic square plain tower with hump back roof was completed 1938 by E F Reynolds. The interior is of course the major feature of interest although the nave lacks length for the soaring elevations and there is a cramping of proportions and space in relation to height. Very narrow pointed arches to ambulatory arcading and broader but still steep ones to the nave returned into transepts, the north are longer than the south. Shafting to piers and shapely, richly moulded arcade arches. The principal shafts carried the ribs of stone vaulting used throughout, particularly fine in chancel. Triforium gallery passage with trefoil balustrade. Very tall fine 2 light clerestory windows. The northern is quite deeply expressed internally with a canted 3 bay arcade allow- ing shallow baptistry, and with gallery above but uncomfortably at lower level to triforium. It is this feature which adds to the awkward shortness of the nave, otherwise the elevational treatment is totally and convincingly consistent. The south chapel window has freestanding shafts to very narrow lights. Light open scroll work iron screen to chancel. Polychrome rood. The altar piece in the south chapel is a painted triptych in copper panels, good Birmingham Arts and Crafts work, by Kate and Myra Bunce, 1919. Stained glass in east window by Henry Payne, otherwise clear or tinted leaded glass. Despite the weaknesses of the design the quality of the interior finishes, the use of brick and stone, undoubtedly a formative influence in the young Bidlake.



Listing NGR: SP0766485337

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 07664 85337

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Jul-2014 at 06:07:05.