List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: DOWER HOUSE

List entry Number: 1290138

Location

DOWER HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
South GloucestershireUnitary AuthorityDodington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 17-Sep-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 15-Aug-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 395725

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 77 NE DODINGTON C.P. DODINGTON PARK

6/66 Dower House (formerly listed as 17.9.52 Dairy at Dodington) G.V. I

House, originally built as dairy - and - bath house, between 1796 and 1816 by James Wyatt. Limestone ashlar, rubble to rear and at right wing, brick, slate roofs with copper roof to portico. Cruciform plan, classical style. 2 storeys and 1:3:1 windows, central 3 bays broken forward with central circular Roman Doric portico (columns fluted and without base), 4 engaged columns to rear, central C20 panelled and glass door, frieze and cornice continued around all ground floor front with blocking course at sides of portico; to each side of portico, a round- headed sash with splayed glazing bars in moulded architrave with cill; plinth. First floor set back, central recessed panel containing 4-pane sash with splayed glazing bars, moulded surround to panel, plain pilaster to each side, entablature and pediment; sash to each side with flush keystone, cornice continued around front. Left return of front block has sash with cill at ground and first floor; right return of front block has bow at ground floor with 3 sashes, cornice and blocking course, first floor has sash with flush keystone and 12-pane fixed light to right, block at first floor level broken forward. Wing to left has central recess with pilaster to each side, sash and cill in deeper recess with fanlight, cornice and parapet; first floor set back, has central sash with 4-pane side lights, fine beaded string course, cornice and parapet continued from central bays. Wing to right in snecked rubble with long and short quoins, has large pair of sashes at ground floor and sash with flush keystone at first floor; right return has first floor sash. Rear wing has north elevation with 2 round-headed recesses, voussoirs, C20 window inserted in each and C20 door to right; first floor has 3 windows, central one blind, 6-pane sash to each side, ground floor in rubble and brick, first floor in ashlar; rear wing attached to rear of Stables (q.v.). Interior: entrance hall has oval ceiling with moulded frieze and cornice, open at right and left to elliptical panelled room, each with bolection- moulded stone fireplace to rear, similar frieze and cornice, dado rails and shutters to windows; front window in each room has deep splayed reveal with coloured marble cills. One room was for butter-making by the ladies, and one for bathing in Roman style. (Sources: Verey, D. : Buildings of England Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds. 1970. Country Life LV 170-75, CXX 1176-9 and 1230-3).

Listing NGR: ST7521679935

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)
'Country Life' in Country Life, , Vol. 55, (), 170-175
'Country Life' in Country Life, , Vol. 55, (), 1176-1179
'Country Life' in Country Life, , Vol. 55, (), 1230-1233
Other
Part 1 Avon,

National Grid Reference: ST 75219 79938

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Oct-2014 at 01:54:33.