List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1290063



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireEast HertfordshireDistrict AuthorityLittle Hadham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 395825

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



8/11 Fiddlers Croft 250 metres along drive 22.2.67 beside Stonehouse Farm

- II*

House. Early C17 brick house. N part has internal plaster decoration dateable to c.1603 (RCHM Typescript). Later S part probably built by John Sabine c,1644. (Minet (1914)). House of Nicholas Pamphillon, violin maker, c.1726 (HRO). Low plastered and pantiled modern N wing c.1922. One and a half storeys, of red brick in English bond with ovolo-moulded brick mullioned windows. Steep old red tile gable roofs. S front wall later faced in Flemish bond red brick with buttresses and projecting central gabled room over front door. This has modern panelled pargetting and a double frieze of violins above the door. Older N part lies E-W, with one room on each floor on each side of a large central chimney carried above the roof in 2 square shafts, 1 each side of the ridge. There is an external ledge at 1st floor level and 2-light brick mullioned windows. There are ogee- stopped and chamfered cross beams over the lower rooms. The added S part is parallel and overlaps two-thirds of the N part but has its floors considerably higher. Its central chimney has 3 octagonal shafts in line E-W, it has 3-light mullioned windows generally, axial stopped and chamfered beams, and no external ledge. An entrance and staircase occupy the NE angle in a wider extension of the N part and there is a tile-hung link at roof level. A round-arched opening gives onto the front door, a 3- light window lights the stair and a 2-light E gable window the landing. There are 3-centred arched fireplaces, chamfered and plastered, in the W 1st floor rooms in each part. The upper W room in the older N part has an almost complete scheme of decorative plasterwork on the upper parts of the walls probably commemorating the Union with Scotland c.1603. An elaborate fleur-de-lis, with choughs pecking berries above, and smaller fleur-de-lis, at cardinal points around. Palmette frieze on W wall. Central rose motif and fat thistles on the chimney. A lion rampant, with bezants top right and bottom left, in a border over the door. Similar large fleur-de-lis and lion rampant panels appear over staircases, and the lion panel on the S chimney on the upper landing, probably copied c.1922. Probably associated with the Capel family who had their seat at Hadham Hall up to c.1668.

Listing NGR: TL4446322412

Selected Sources

  1. Other  Reference - Author: Minet - Date: 1914

National Grid Reference: TL 44463 22412


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2014 at 08:59:43.