List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE MANSION WITH ATTACHED SERVICE RANGES (NOW NUGENT HOUSE, COBHAM HOUSE AND GRAFTON HOUSE)

List entry Number: 1289788

Location

THE MANSION WITH ATTACHED SERVICE RANGES (NOW NUGENT HOUSE, COBHAM HOUSE AND GRAFTON HOUSE)

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
BuckinghamshireAylesbury ValeDistrict AuthorityStowe

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 25-Sep-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 21-Apr-1983

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 396413

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 6737 STOWE

9/57 STOWE SCHOOL The Mansion with attached service ranges (now Nugent House, Cobham House and Grafton House) (formerly listed as Stowe House)

25.9.51 GV I

Mansion of 1680 by William Cleare for Sir Richard Temple. Greatly altered and enlarged in stages until 1779, by Vanbrugh in the 1720's for Viscount Cobham, Gibbs 1740's for Lord Cobham. Work also by Leoni and Kent. South front 1771 by Thomas Pitt (Lord Camelford) based on design of Robert Adam, for Earl Temple. North front: stucco with stone portico and dressings. Roof concealed by balustraded parapet. Three storeys and basement, cornice at second floor. Eleven bays, the two end bays projecting; sash windows, architraves only to end bays. Central portico with steps and flanking stone lions. Ionic pilasters, 4 Ionic columns, design attributed to Vanbrugh or Leoni. Curved Ionic colonnades added 1771-2 by William Ride, perhaps to designs by Pitt or Lord Temple. Screen walls each side with Ionic order. c1780 by Valdre, pierced by pair of tall pedimented gateways leading to the service yards, c1744 by Kent, originally freestanding. (for gateways at right angles, see separate item). South front: ashlar, basement and one lofty storey. Balustraded parapets. Central block with 5-bay corinthian portico with steps, flanked by triple windows under semi-circular tympana. Giant corinthian pilasters each side. Lower colonnaded links, arcaded at basement level, attach centre block to two large pavilions, with giant corinthian pilasters and three bays of triple windows under semi-circular tympana. At each end, a 2-storey arcaded wing of 5 bays with blank arcading, connects to the service wings, now boarding houses, early C18, attributed to Vanbrugh. Stucco with ironstone dressings, slate roofs, eaves cornices two storeys, first floor bands. Nugent House, at the west end, has a central 5 bay block, the central bay projecting and pedimented on both sides. Five arches on the east elevation. Two bay single storey links each side. Northern block pedimented at each end, wooden cupola at east end of roof. Cobham House, at east end of Mansion is similar in design. Grafton House, attached at the east end is similar, with a basement storey faced in ironstone, central pedimented bay with arch, modern Mansard roof. Interior: North entrance hall decoration before c1732 by Kent. Oval saloon with doric columns and pantheon ceiling. c1780 by Valdre (probably based on design by G F Blondel). Music Room painted by Valdre with 'Pompeian' decoration. Library, in E. link, 7 bays with ornamental ceiling, Dining Hall, in W. link, ceiling c1750. Two easterly state rooms with late C18 ornamental ceilings. Basement: Gothic library, vestibule and staircase 1805-06 by Soane. Remains of early C19 Egyptian style entrance hall with two carved columns and frieze. First floor: Garter Room ceiling by Borra c.1760 renewed and altered 1930's. Chapel: upper part, with coffered ceiling. RCHM II p.287 MON.6

Listing NGR: SP6747537434

Selected Sources

Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire Volume Two North, (1913)
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 4 Buckinghamshire,

National Grid Reference: SP 67463 37436

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Nov-2014 at 08:30:04.