List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: STABLE BLOCK ATTACHED TO SOUTH OF DYRHAM HOUSE

List entry Number: 1289719

Location

STABLE BLOCK ATTACHED TO SOUTH OF DYRHAM HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
South GloucestershireUnitary AuthorityDyrham and Hinton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 15-Aug-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 396555

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 77 NW DYRHAM AND HINTON C.P. DYRHAM PARK

5/158 Stable Block attached to south of Dyrham House G.V. I

Stable block. 1698, to designs by William Talman, probably largely supervised by Edward Wilcox, foreman; garret storey removed C19. West elevation in very fine coursed freestone, stone dressings, rubble to east, slate roofs with weathered ridge stacks. Built around 2 courtyards. West elevation of tall single storey, 15 bays, central 3 bays and small outer pavilions broken forward; central high carriage entry (opening to south courtyard) with heavy triple keystone, Tuscan column to each side (cylindrical without entasis), recessed stone cross window to each side with flat mullion and transom, outer pilaster, these without entablature, one supporting a thin cornice and pediment, with the central part of the pediment broken forward over the 2 columns. To each side a 5-bay range with similar windows, cornice and small gabled dormer to right and left, re-roofed 1845-60, shallower, former garret storey around whole block contained staff quarters. At each end a small pavilion, central door in moulded architrave, (blocked with 2-light casement inserted to left) and oculus in moulded surround above, pilaster to each side of pavilion and segmental pediment over. East elevation of 2 storeys, 8:3:8 bays, central 3 bays forming cross wing between 2 courtyards; all windows 2-light casements, recessed with square mullions and leaded lights, 2 doors to left, plinth and string course above lintels of ground floor windows, deep eaves cornice; to left of central cross wing, tall round-headed carriage entry, repeating entry to west, above western carriage entry a wooden cupola with Doric columns to each corner, ogee dome, bell and weathervane. Central 3 bays have blind windows, and 3 at ground floor right also blind; to right, double panelled doors with overlight and Tuscan portico, block above raised to 3 storeys in same style 1845-60. Inside south courtyard, west range has 3 windows at first floor, central one blocked, large cart entry; north range has 5 windows at first floor and 4 at ground floor, central segmental-headed opening leading to north courtyard; south range has 3 windows at first floor and clock, C20 garage doors; east range has 4 windows at first floor and 2 at ground floor, door to left. Inside north courtyard, 2 storeys, 4 windows to east. 3 to north and 5 to south, windows to north 2-light casements with ovolo mullions of C19. Interior: formerly contained stabling, nurseries, kitchens and offices, brewery, laundry, coach houses and rooms for staff. Dairy in central wing has blue and sepia Delft tiles on walls, marble shelves to each side on Tuscan columns and cornice, central stone fountain (formerly in courtyard) with square base, moulded stem, large circular bowl and finial to central stem. Front corridor has niche with head for waterspout and basin with C19 taps in line with route of former cascade from east to west in gardens. Former kitchen in east range has large bolection-moulded fireplace with keystone, room open to full height of building with eagle in ceiling supporting C19 lantern, room later used as hall for collecting rents from tenants. (Sources: Verey, D. : Buildings of England Gloucestershire : The Cotswolds. 1970. Kenworthy-Browne, J. : Dyrham Park. 1983. Country Life 14, 434-441, XL 546-552, CXXXI 335-339 and CXXXI 396-399).

Listing NGR: ST7415275729

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Kenworthy Browne, J , Dyrham Park, (1983)
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)
'Country Life' in Country Life, , Vol. 14, (), 434-441
'Country Life' in Country Life, , Vol. 14, (), 546-552
'Country Life' in Country Life, , Vol. 14, (), 335-339
'Country Life' in Country Life, , Vol. 14, (), 396-399
Other
Part 1 Avon,

National Grid Reference: ST 74152 75729

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 07:35:33.