List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WELL HALL ART GALLERY

List entry Number: 1289673

Location

WELL HALL ART GALLERY, WELL HALL LANE SE9

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityGreenwichLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 26-Mar-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 08-Jun-1973

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 396631

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 4412 WELL HALL LANE SE9

Well Hall Art Gallery (formerly listed under Well Hall Road) TQ 4275 48/W81 26.3.54.

II*

2. Formerly Well Hall Farm outbuildings. 1568 with later alterations and additions. Associated with Sir Thomas More, whose daughter Margaret married William Roper of Well Hall. Converted by Woolwich Borough Council into Art Gallery and Restaurant in 1936. 2 storeys. Old tiled roof with gable ends. Original angle turrets to West gable, restored turrets at East end. Red brick with some diaper work of blue headers. North elevation 7 irregular windows to East of projecting gabled wing, and one to West. 7 4-centred brick relieving arches on ground floor. 2 at left over 7-light windows with brick mullions partly original and now blocked. 2 1st floor and 1 ground floor windows remain in original chamfered brick reveals. Brick plinth with sandstone chamfered angle. Sandstone door jambs. All wall angles chamfered. Moulded brick coping to gable ends. Stone plaque on 1st floor with arms and date. Small terra-cotta panel with initials, "W R" on South-east corner. On South elevation 13 relieving arches and 11 windows, 4 in original surrounds, 2 blocked, on ground floor, with brick mullions. Several diagonal chimneys. At West end massive offset chimney stack with small, 1-light window through it. Inside, upper floor of 11 bays. Roof truss differs, but is mainly of very heavy tie beam and queen posts, some with collar beam and some rising direct to principal rafter, with purlins resting on side struts. Some timbers removed and some replaced. Carved stone fireplace with shallow raised borders of roses alternating with lilies. On both floors at West end brick fireplaces with segmental gauged brick arches, 4-centred relieving arches above and herringbone brick fire back. Niche to left of fireplace on ground floor.

Listing NGR: TQ4245675107

Selected Sources

  1. Unpublished Title  Reference - Title: Part 17 Greater London - Journal Title: Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England - Volume: 17

National Grid Reference: TQ 42456 75107

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Aug-2014 at 06:17:29.