List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE LORDSHIP

List entry Number: 1289499

Location

THE LORDSHIP, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireEast HertfordshireDistrict AuthorityMuch Hadham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 396965

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 4219 MUCH HADHAM HIGH STREET (east side) Much Hadham village

13/1 The Lordship

22.2.67

- II*

Manor house. Circa 1740-45 red brick with C16 and early C17 old house at rear. In large grounds with medieval rectangular homestead moat to the E and a large stable block at right angles to the NW. The main block is a 2 storey, parapeted rectangle with hipped, old tile roof. Prominent, wooden, modillion eaves cornice to 3 sides, forming pediment on slightly projecting, 3 window centre of 9 window W front. Triple arch Tuscan porch with glazed fans and half-glazed side doors. Fielded, 6-panel door. Rubbed brick window lintels and C19 casements to both floors. Recessed panels between floors. Semicircular attic light with glazing bars. S elevation with end pilasters and brick surrounds to Ground floor windows. Early C17, gabled, two and a half storey continuation to E has attic window with Tudor hood mould. Rear elevation comprises 2 projecting double-gabled wings, that on S C16 red brick, two and a half storeys with 3-light Ground and 1st floor leaded casements. Return elevation to N has deep, dentil and modillion wood cornice which continues higher up on rear of main block. Near junction is double Tudor chimneystack. N wing is early C19. Big Ground floor canted bay; 1st floor canted oriel. 1912 wing on SE by Sir Reginald Blomfield. Red brick and tiles, hipped roof with 3 hipped, 3-light, casement dormers on E. Ground floor 3- and 5-light casements. C16 red brick wall on N and S.

Interior has c.1740-45 staircase in rectangular hall on N, and contemporary coved cornice to most Ground floor rooms. At rear centre is a re-set, mid C17, oak staircase with large balusters and strapwork panels. Early C17, chamfer-stopped beams in N rear projection Ground floor. Re-used oak panelling in room above, which also has early C18 bolection moulded fireplace. The house belonged to William Morris, but his interior decoration has not survived. (Pevsner (1977) 255-6).

Listing NGR: TL4289019866

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 255-6

National Grid Reference: TL 42890 19866

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 10:12:24.