List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1289123

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, NEWLAND STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireKetteringDistrict AuthorityBraybrooke

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Feb-1957

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 397902

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRAYBROOKE NEWLAND STREET SP 78 SE 2/3 25/2/57 Church of All Saints II* Parish Church. C13, C14, C15, Griffin Chapel c 1520. Restored C17, 1892, 1898, 1933. Coursed and squared ironstone and limestone with limestone dressings and lead roofs. West tower with spire, nave with aisles, chancel, south porch. West tower, late C14, 2 stages, has 4 diagonal buttresses, plinth, string courses and cusped lozenge frieze with gargoyles. All openings have hood moulds and mask stops. First stage has, to west, a heavily moulded doorway and above it, a restored double lancet. North and south sides have each a single light and, to south only, a clock. Second stage has on each side a double lancet bell opening, Octagonal broach spire has 2 tiers of gabled lucarnes on the cardinal faces, and is topped with a weathercock. Nave and aisles have moulded parapets, coped east gable with cross, diagonal buttresses and openings with hood moulds. 3-bay north aisle has to north 2 C15 double lancets with flat heads and to west a C14 doorway. East end has a C15 triple lancet, and west end a C14 single lancet. 4-bay south aisle has 3 C15 double lancets, that to west with late C19 Geometrical tracery. West end has a C15 triple lancet. 2-bay chancel has to north 2 blocked doorways and above, 2 C17 mullioned casements. East end has a diagonal buttress and a c1300 triple lancet with intersecting tracery, partly blocked. 3-bay Griffin chapel, buttressed throughout, has chamfered plinth, moulded band and coped parapet, and Perpendicular windows with panel tracery and hood moulds. East end has 5-light lancet, South side has a central moulded doorway and above, three 4-light lancets. Parapeted and gabled south porch, C14, reroofed 1933, has chamfered doorway with round shafts and hood mould. Above it a blank dial. In each side, a single chamfered light. Roll moulded inner doorway c 1300 has shafts and hood mould with mask stops. Chamfered and rebated tower arch has single round shafts and late C20 glazed screen. 4-bay nave arcades, C13 and C14, restored 1892, have round demi shafts with stiff- leaf capitals in the north-east bay, and an octagonal demi-shaft in the south-east bay. Octagonal piers, double chamfered and rebated arches with hood moulds. Arch braced C15 roof, restored 1898. Both aisles have a fielded panelled dado, 1898. North aisle has a stained glass east window, 1957, and to its right a chamfered doorway to the rood stair. Plain late C19 roof. South aisle has a C16 eastern arch with shafts and a restored C15 oak screen. South side has fragments of wall painting and C15 glass in the central window. Restored C15 roof with moulded timbers and wall shafts. Chancel, reroofed 1933, has timber jambs and span beam in place of the arch, the opening closed with a mid C20 screen. Above, to the left, plank door to the rood loft. Griffin chapel, reroofed 1933, has to north a 3-bay arcade with quatrfoil piers and heavily moulded 4 centred arches. East window flanked by single crocketed ogee headed niches with brackets. To right, an arched piscina. South side has to west an arched aumbry and C16 glass fragments in the east and west windows. Fittings include C12 square font with interlace work, cross and fishes, on C19 stem. Prayer desk, altar table and chair assembled from carved and panelled C15 and C16 fragments. Late C19 oak eagle lectern and octagonal pulpit. Framed brass donation board, 1684. Royal Arms, George III. Memorials include noteworthy Griffin family monument c 1570, ashlar, with pilastered base containing cartouche and scrolls. Corniced main tier with crested shield flanked by single Ionic balusters, and beyond, similar clustered triple balusters. Top with urn and beast finials, and semicircular centrepiece containing a shell. Moulded medallion with over life size wreathed head, c 1575, possibly from Braybrooke Castle. Above it, an achievement of Arms. Scrolled painted marble cartouche, 1691. Marble tablet with crest and apron, 1759. Restored chest tomb with quatrefoil panelled sides and a single shield. Sources: Pevsner G Pitcher - Guide to Braybrooke Church.

Listing NGR: SP7646684592

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pitcher, G - Title: Guide to Braybrooke Church
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire - Date: 1973

National Grid Reference: SP 76466 84592

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Jul-2014 at 10:31:22.