List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CRANSLEY HALL

List entry Number: 1289058

Location

CRANSLEY HALL, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireKetteringDistrict AuthorityCransley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 398062

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CRANSLEY CHURCH LANE SP 87 NW (south side) 5/18 Cransley Hall 25.10.51 GV II* Small country house. Built for Henry Robinson 1677. South and east fronts, 1708. Bay window to south front c 1800. C19 additions. Squared ironstone with limestone dressings and Collyweston and Welsh slate hipped roof. Plinth, moulded first floor band, deeply moulded modillioned eaves cornice. Grouped coped stone ridge and side wall stacks. Square plan with central light well. 2 storeys plus attics. 7 X 5 bays. Principal east front has 7-window range of 12/12 sashes with projecting bolection-moulded ashlar surrounds, and above, 4 slate hung pedimented dormers each with a 2-light glazing bar casement. Off-centre 2-storey ashlar projecting bay has chamfered quoins. Moulded ashlar doorcase had segmental pediment containing a crest and a 2-panel fielded door with overlight. To the right, a late C19 billiard room with a canted end with 3 sashes. South garden front is a similar 5-window range with 2- storey bay window with 3 glazing bar sashes. Windows have moulded surrounds with keystones. Central gabled dormer. West front is a similar 4-window range with an off-centre ashlar doorcase with Doric piers and a segmental pediment. Above it a tablet with a crest. Windows have moulded surrounds with keystones. 4 pedimented dormers, each with an asymmetrical sliding sash. Beyond, to the left, a C19 2-storey 3 window range in matching style, with half-glazed door. To the far left, a lean-to outbuilding and a flat roofed stone addition with casements. North side has a projecting 2-bay service range with a half-glazed C19 door and overlight, flanked to right by a glazing bar sash, both with keystones. 2 casements above. To the left, billiard room with 2 sashes. To the right, a setback kitchen range with 3 sashes and a 2-light casement. Casements above. To right again, an ironstone and brick kitchen yard wall with slab coping, containing a gateway and 2 casements. Interior: entrance hall has an early C19 moulded wood cantilevered staircase with matching shaped landing balustrade, turned balusters and scrolled ramped handrail. Dining room has good quality mid-C18 plasterwork with shaped festooned wall panels, deep modillioned frieze and overmantel with acanthus scrolls and open segmental pediment containing a basket of fruit. The south wall has a central moulded bracketed and pedimented doorcase with a 2-panel door. Central corridor has a large semicircular recess containing a moulded doorcase leading to the drawing room. This has reeded Ionic corner pilasters, festooned reeded wall panels, foliate moulded cornice, and a pair of Ionic pilaster piers to the bay window. Classical marble fireplace with a wreathed wooden frieze and cornice, flanked by single fitted cupboards with moulded architraves. North wall has a central C18 doorcase with eared architrave, scroll brackets and oakleaf frieze. Plaster panelled music room has fireplace with flanking Ionic pilasters. To its left, a moulded round headed archway, now blocked, and beyond, a moulded round headed doorway. Billiard room has half-height oak panelling c 1890 and a wide tapestry frieze. Coffered ceiling. Breakfast room has full height oak panelling c 1890, with late C18 basket grate in bracketed reeded oak surround with ornamental panel. Cransley Hall was built for Henry Robinson of Cransley, and passed to the Rose family in 1791, remaining in their hands till 1904. Sources: Pevsner J Gotch NMR

Listing NGR: SP8288876605

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Gotch, J A , Squires Homes and Other Old Buildings of Northamptonshire, (1939), 18
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973)

National Grid Reference: SP 82888 76605

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Dec-2014 at 01:35:38.