List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

List entry Number: 1288918

Location

CHURCH OF ST LEONARD, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireKetteringDistrict AuthorityLoddington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Feb-1957

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 398378

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LODDINGTON MAIN STREET SP 87 NW (south side) 5/48 Church of St Leonard 25.2.57 GV II* Parish Church. C13, C14, altered 1578, restored by Ewan Christian, 1859. Coursed and squared ironstone with limestone dressings, stone slate and lead roofs. West tower with spire, nave with clerestory, south aisle and contiguous chapel, chancel, north porch. 3-stage west tower, C13 and C14, has chamfered plinth, 3 string courses, plain buttresses to east, angle buttresses to west, and lozenge frieze with gargoyles. West side has a moulded doorway with double ringed shafts and an unusual stepped gable. North and south sides have single lancets. Above the door, a single lancet. Above again, on each side, a roll moulded double lancet bell chamber opening with double shafts. All the lancets have hood moulds. Octagonal broach spire has 2 tiers of crocketed gabled lucarnes with double lancets. 4-bay nave has chamfered plinth, buttress to north east, eaves band, coped parapet and gable with cross. North side has to east a flat headed Perpendicular triple lancet and to west, a C14 single lancet. Clerestory has on each side 4 plain double lancets. All the windows have hood moulds.South aisle and chapel has south west angle buttress, moulded sill and eaves bands, coped parapet and datestone over west door, 1578, with a shield. Aisle has to left a double hollow chamfered doorway, flanked to left by a single plain C13 lancet and to right by 2 untraceried mid C14 double lancets with flat heads. Chapel has, to left, a C13 roll moulded doorway with ringed shafts, and to its right a triple and a double late C14 lancet with flat heads. The east end has a late C14 double lancet with 4-centred arched head. All the openings have hood moulds, 3 to the south with mask stops. At the east end, a C19 octagonal stone chimney. 3-bay chancel has plinth and coped east gable with cross. North side has to east a C15 transomed double lancet and to west a larger C14 triple lancet, both with flat heads. East end has a restored early C14 triple lancet with intersecting tracery. South side has to east a C13 double lancet with plate tracery. All the windows have hood moulds. North porch, C14, restored C19, has chamfered plinth and eaves, coped gable with kneelers and finial, double chamfered doorway and a C19 quatrefoil in each side. Interior has 2 restored stone benches, C19 roof and C15 roll moulded Tudor arched doorway. Triple chamfered C13 tower arch has round responds and C20 wooden screen. C13 3-bay arcade has round and quatrefoil piers, octagonal imposts and double chamfered arches with hood moulds. Low pitched C19 roof with wall shafts. South aisle east end has a C13 moulded arch with shafts and dogtooth capitals. South side has a central C14 tomb recess with shafts and hood mould. South east window has medieval glass fragments. Restored roof with moulded timbers and wall shafts. South east chapel, now vestry, has to east a window, flanked to left by a blocked lancet and to right by a C15 niche with a mask pendant. South side has to west a C14 and a C13 piscina and to their right, a double chamfered arch with imposts and the lower part of a C15 screen. North side has to east a late C14 tomb recess. East end has moulded sill band and hood mould. South east side has a C19 triple sedilia with shafts, and a late C13 piscina. Above, stained glass window, 1892, signed G F Campfield, also attributed to Morris & Co. 2-bay chapel arcade has a round pier with 4 attached shafts and stiff leaf capital and moulded arches. Resited C15 traceried oak screen. Arch braced C19 roof. Fittings include C12 round font with latticed top band. 3 C16 benches with traceried ends, plus 6 restored ends. C19 octagonal oak pulpit, benches and stalls. C17 chip-carved chest and plain C18 chest. Memorials include slate tablet with Latin inscription, 1726. Crested marble and slate tablet, 1915. Large Classical marble and slate war memorial tablet, 1918, with brass, 1945. Source: Pevsner

Listing NGR: SP8146278355

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire - Date: 1973

National Grid Reference: SP 81462 78355

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Sep-2014 at 05:16:49.