List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1288885

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, ISHAM ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireKetteringDistrict AuthorityPytchley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 25-Feb-1957

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 398480

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PYTCHLEY ISHAM ROAD SP 87 SE (north side) 8/57 Church of All Saints 25.2.57 I Parish Church. C12, C13, C14, C15, chancel restored 1861, nave and aisles restored 1903. Coursed and squared stone and ashlar with stone slate and lead roofs. West tower, nave with clerestory and aisles, side chapel, south porch, chancel. West tower, C13 and C14, 4 stages, has chamfered plinth and string courses, crenellated parapet with gargoyles and pinnacles, pyramid rood with weathercock. To south west, a clasping buttress. First stage has to west a late C14 moulded doorway with 2-leaf plank door and above it, a Y-traceried lancet, restored, both with hood moulds. Second stage has a lancet to south. Third stage has blocked triple openings to north and south, a doorway to east, and clock to west. Bell stage has on each side 2 transomed ogee headed bell chamber openings with hood moulds. Parapeted clerestory has to north 4 and to south 5 C14 Decorated double lancets. North and south aisles have chamfered plinths and coped parapets. South aisle has moulded sill band. North aisle west end has setback buttresses and a grotesque spout. Each end has a restored early C15 transomed triple lancet with panel tracery and hood mould. North side has to east a diagonal buttress and a single intermediate one. To west of the side chapel, a double chamfered C14 doorway with hood mould. South aisle, 4 bays, has at the east end a tall Y-traceried double lancet. To its left, 4 tablets, c 1800. South side has to east, 2 Decorated double lancets with moulded ogee heads and finials. To west, a C13 paired lancet. West end has a C19 Perpendicular triple lancet with hood mould. North side chapel has string course, coped gable and parapet with diagonal spouts. North gable has a restored C13 double lancet with hood mould. Buttressed south porch, C14, has coped gable with sundial finial. Roll moulded doorway with shafts and above it, a mask corbel and a C19 lamp bracket. In each side, a chamfered flat headed double opening. Interior has stone benches and C20 roof. C13 doorway with filleted moulding, shafts with crocketed capitals, hood mould and C16 plank door and hinges. 2-bay chancel has chamfered plinth, moulded eaves, coped gable, and sill bands to east and south. North side has a near-central blocked doorway flanked to left by a C14 piscina and to right by a blocked doorway. Above, mid C19 triple and double Geometrical lancets with hood moulds. East end has a C19 5-light Geometrical lancet with hood mould flanked by single angle buttresses. South side has to left a restored C14 doorway flanked to left by a blocked low side window, and a central C19 Geometrical triple lancet, flanked to left by a similar double lancet and to right by a more squat triple lancet. All these openings have hood moulds. C14 double chamfered tower arch has octagonal responds and C19 traceried wooden screen. 4-bay north arcade has 2 C12 bays to west with round pier, scrolled capital and single stepped arches with painted decoration. Eastern bays, mid C13, have quatrefoil piers with one oak leaf capital, differently chamfered arches, hood moulds and mask stops. North east corner has rood loft doorway. 4-bay south arcade, C13, has quatrefoil piers and responds with 3 leaf capitals and a single moulded capital to east. Hollow and plain chamfered arches with hood moulds and mask stops. Restored C15 roof has moulded cambered tie-beams with struts to wall shafts. North aisle has to left, blind-arcaded timber porch with double doors, 1844, and to its right, double chamfered opening to side chapel, with C17 carved panelled screen. East end has to left a re-set C13 piscina and to right a C20 aumbry, both with re-set cross-incised lintels. Restored C15 roof with cambered tie-beams and wall shafts on mask corbels. South aisle has an ogee headed Gothic traceried porch, 1844. East end has 2 stained glass windows, mid and late C20. Restored roof with moulded tie-beams and purlins. Chancel has C19 hollow chamfered arch with central drop and hood mould, a C20 traceried screen, and a moulded sill band. East end has a C14 style oak reredos, 1952. South side has late C14 cusped ogee headed piscina and sedilia in moulded flat headed frame. To right, a blocked doorway and low side window openings. C19 arch-braced principal rafter roof with foliate corbels. Fittings include round C12 font, restored and inscribed 1838, with cove sided bowl and C19 turned cover. C17 pew and octagonal pulpit and priest's chair made from C17 carved panels. C14 chest. Large painted panel, 1661, with Royal arms, churchwardens' names and text. memorials include 3 mid C19 marble and slate tablets and 2 war memorial brasses.

Listing NGR: SP8600374776

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 86003 74776

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2014 at 03:03:18.