List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

List entry Number: 1288778

Location

CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, SQUIRE'S HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireKetteringDistrict AuthorityRothwell

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 12-Jun-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 398811

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ROTHWELL SQUIRE'S HILL SF 8081-8181 (east end) 9/82 Church of 12.6.50 Holy Trinity GV I Parish Church. C12, C13, C14, C15, early C16. Spire collapsed 1660. Transepts cut down, 1673. Chancel restored 1848, the remainder restored between 1893 and 1910. Ironstone with limestone bands and dressings and lead roofs. Plinths, string courses and moulded parapets and gables throughout. West tower, nave with clerestory, north and south aisles with porches, Lady chapel, south chapel, chancel and sanctuary under continuous roof, crypt. 3-stage west tower, c.1225 and C14, has 3 angle and clasping buttresses, plinth and string courses, 4 pinnacles and pyramidal roof with finial and wind vane. West side has roll moulded doorway of 5 orders with ringed shafts and responds, and re-set late C12 arch with zigzag bands. Above the door, 3 round relieving arches. South side has 3 similar arches. Second stage has to north 2 blocked C14 openings, that to left containing a lancet. To their right, a blocked C13 roll moulded opening with shafts. All have hood moulds. To west, a partly blocked late C14 double lancet, now containing a moulded clock dial. The bell stage has on each side 2 cusped transomed double lancet openings with hood moulds. At the north east corner a hexagonal stair turret with plinth and string courses and C19 spire with a tier of lucarnes. Clerestory, C15, has single bellcote to east gable. On either side, 7 plain 3-light windows with 4-centred arched heads. C13 north aisle, 4 bays, has to north 4 and to west a single buttress, 2 set-offs. North side has 3 restored plain Perpendicular triple lancets with hood moulds and mask stops. West end has a similar window. C14 north porch has roll moulded doorway with triple shafts, hood mould and stops, and 2-leaf C17 studded doors. Gable has crocketed pinnacles. Slab roof. To east, remodelled former transept has 3 buttresses, the central one largest, and 2 blocked arches. In the east one, a plain late C13 double lancet. In the west one, a Perpendicular triple lancet. Lady chapel, C13, refenestrated C15, 3 bays, has at north east corner a complex external. pier with a gabled frieze, topped with a spire. North side has 3 transomed Perpendicular lancets and to their right, a C13 moulded doorway. East end has a C13 triple lancet with intersecting tracery, its lower light blocked by a C19 lean-to vestry, Perpendicular style. All the openings have hood moulds. Buttressed late C13 south aisle, 4 bays, has to south 3 tall plain triple lancets with shafts, hood moulds and mask stops. 2-bay south chapel, to east, has 2 blocked arches flanking a central plain buttress. The smaller arch to the left contains a C13 triple lance with spherical triangles over. The larger arch to the east has a similar cusped window and to its left, a restored priest's door. The east end has a Perpendicular 4-light lancet. All the openings have hood moulds and stops. South porch, C13 and C14, has moulded doorway with ringed shafts, gable and crocketed pinnacles, and slab roof. Vaulted interior has roll moulded inner doorway. To its left, a lean-to enclosure covering the winder stairs to the crypt. Sanctuary east end, mid C14, has a cusped 5-light lancet with panel tracery and hood mould with mask stops flanked by single angle buttresses with octagonal upper parts topped with spires. Chancel south side has a near-central buttress and to its left, 2 blocked arches, that to right with a C19 Geometrical triple lancet. To the right, a Restored Perpendicular triple lancet with blocked lower lights. Both have hood moulds. Above, to the left, 3 late C12 round headed windows and above them, a C12 corbel table. Above and to the left again, a C19 2-light window. Interior has C14 vaulted tower chamber with bosses and bell hole, and late C13 moulded tower arch with filleted shafts and naturalistic capitals. Nave arcades, early C13, raised mid C13, 5 bays, incorporate c1200 crossing at the east end. Round and square piers, filleted shafts, and similar responds with rings. Triple chamfered western arches, double coved eastern arches, with hood moulds. To the north east, moulded rood stair doorway. Above, sill band and plain clerestory windows. Queen post roof, early C20. North aisle west end has C13 moulded doorway to tower, with mid C17 door. North side east windows have C13 surrounds. East end has early C14 double chamfered arch into former transept and to east again, triple chamfered arch with shafts and traceried oak screen, 1935, to Lady chapel. Roof with moulded cambered tie-beams, restored c1660. Lady chapel has chamfered and moulded sill bands. North side has to east, C14 tomb recess and 3 windows with linked hood moulds. East end has stained glass window, 1931, flanked by single square brackets, and to east a C14 ogee piscina. South side has 2-bay arcade, C14, towards chancel. Renewed roof with cambered tie-beams and arch braces. South aisle has moulded sill band. South side has to east the remains of a C14 double piscina. East end has triple-coved C14 arch with hood mould and 3 re- set mask stops into the former transept. To east again, a double chamfered arch with a clustered pier to south and round respond to north, with hood mould and mask stops. Early C20 roof with moulded tie-beams and purlins. South chapel has on north side a re-set 2-light low side window and above, a C12 corbel table. Renewed roof similar to south aisle. Chancel has early C14 triple hollow chamfered arch with hood mould and stops and clustered shaft responds. Low C20 oak screen. Altered north and south arcades, 4 bays, have narrower western bays with quatrefoil piers with crocketed corbels. Eastern bays have square piers mostly with flanking shafts and crocketed corbels. North arcade has roll moulded western arches and double chamfered eastern arch. South arcade has simpler double chamfered arches. All have hood moulds. North west corner has a chamfered rood loft doorway. Sanctuary north side has a C15 doorway and a C20 aumbry. East end has Perpendicular style wooden reredos, 1927. South side has remains of a late C13 canopied triple piscina and a damaged C14 canopied quadruple sedilia. To west, a stained glass window. 1912. Above, a sill band and 5 unglazed C12 windows with linked hood mould. Chancel and sanctuary have a renewed low pitched arch-braced roof with good quality beast and mask corbels. Rare 2-bay crypt, early C13, has chamfered ribbed vault and contains the bones of some 1,500 persons. East end has traces of wall painting. Fittings include unusual hexagonal C13 font with detached ringed angle shafts. Restored C14 traceried stalls with figure finials and 8 misericords. C18 baluster type altar rail. Brass chandelier, 1733. Royal Arms, late C15, C19 and C20 pulpit, lectern and chairs. Panelled marquetry screen, 1922, made from Cl7 panels. memorials include 3 C13 coffin lids, incised lid, 1309, brass to William de Rowell, 1361. 2 chest tombs, one with brasses, to Owen Ragsdale, 1591, with Latin inscription. Pedimented Classical painted marble tablet with Latin inscription to Andrea Lane, 1694. Painted marble hanging cartouche with apron and Latin inscription to Elizabeth Lane, 1694. 2 marble tablets, mid and late C18, 6 C19 tablets. Wooden war memorial tablets, 1918 and 1945. The church was founded by Earl Roger de Clare, and became a possession of Cirencester Abbey in 1133. Sources: Pevsner Kelly's Directory of Northamptonshire, 1928 S Hawkins Holy Trinity Church Guide

Listing NGR: SP8162081144

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Hawkins, S - Title: Holy Trinity Rothwell Church Guide
  2. Article  Reference - Title: Northamptonshire - Date: 1928 - Journal Title: Kellys Directory - Type:
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire - Date: 1973

National Grid Reference: SP 81620 81144

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Aug-2014 at 04:58:41.