List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1288615

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CambridgeshireHuntingdonshireDistrict AuthorityGrafham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 14-May-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 399174

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 16 NE GRAFHAM CHURCH ROAD (SOUTH SIDE)

6/2 CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS 14.5.59

GV I

Parish church mainly C14 but plan suggests an earlier church on site. West tower with broach spire; nave, north aisle, south chapel and porch and chancel. Late C14 west tower of pebble and rubble stone with coursed stone ashlar to 2 stage diagonal buttressing and to quoins of C15 half octagonal newel staircase at south-east corner. Tower of 2 stages and bell stage. On splayed plinth with string courses between stages. West doorway (restored) of 2 chamfered orders in 4-centred head. C15 west window of 3 cinquefoil lights in 4-centred head with label and plain returns. Each wall of bell chamber has 2-light openings with cinquefoil heads with quatrefoil. in 2-centred arches. Moulded label continued as string course. Two-stage, ashlared broach spire on octagonal base with C17 obelisk pinnacles to broaches. One to south- east cut down. Two tiers of gabled spire lights. Mid C13 nave of rubble and pebble- stone. Plain tiled with crested ridge tiles and 2 gabled dormers to south side, each with leaded lights in pointed arches. C13 chancel. Mainly pebble and rubble stone. Plain tiled with gable end parapet. C13 north doorway with chamfered jambs in 2-centred head with roll moulded label and return stops. C15 two-light window on site of C15 opening. Early C13 east window, much restored in C16 or C17. Two early C13 windows in south wall. One of two and one of three lights with intersecting tracery in 2-centred arches. C14 south chapel. Pebble rubble on plinth. East window of 5 trefoil lights in 4-centred head with defaced mask stops. Two C14 windows (restored) of 2 lights in ogre arches with square heads. South porch rebuilt 1902. Pebblestone and rubble incorporating in west wall fragments of architecture and a mediaeval tomb slab with figure of a priest in vestments carved in relief. Interior C13 north arcade of 4 bays. Two-centred arches of 2 chamfered orders on round columns and capitals, the bases being concealed beneath the raised floor. Late C13 or early C14 south arcade. Of 2 bays. Two-centred arches on octagonal piers. C16 pent roof with original chamfered beams and moulded wall plate. C19 nave roof of 4 bays with 2 C17 roof trusses surviving. The beams with jackposts supported on stone corbels. North aisle has C16 roof of 5 bays. Moulded principals and longitudinal beams. Two surviving jackposts and bracing originally on corbels, now removed. C15 rood staircase in south-east corner. Four-centred, hollow moulded arch to entry. C13 chancel arch rebuilt. Two-centred arch of one chamfered order. C13 piscina in south wall of chancel. Of 2 bays. Two chamfered orders in 2-centred heads, on round columns with moulded octagonal capitals and bases. C14 font, tapering octagonal bowl on round stem with plinth. Each face carved. Fragments of C16 work in bench at west end of nave. RCHM (Hunts) p 116, item (1). Pevsner (Buildings of England) p 252.

Listing NGR: TL1597269154

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Title: Inventory of Huntingdonshire - Date: 1926 - Page References: 116
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Bedfordshire, Huntingdon and Peterborough - Date: 1968 - Page References: 252

National Grid Reference: TL 15972 69154

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Aug-2014 at 05:33:23.