List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PAUL

List entry Number: 1288582

Location

CHURCH OF ST PAUL, SCOTFORTH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LancashireLancasterDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 25-Oct-1985

Date of most recent amendment: 13-Mar-1995

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 383328

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LANCASTER

SD46SE SCOTFORTH ROAD, Scotforth 1685-1/1/334 (West side) 25/10/85 Church of St Paul (Formerly Listed as: SCOTFORTH ROAD, Scotforth St Paul's Church)

II

Parish church. 1874 and 1891. By Edmund Sharpe, extended westward by 3 bays by Paley and Austin. Brick, faced externally with local gritstone with yellow terracotta detailing. Slate roofs. PLAN: 5-bay aisled nave with western transept; hipped tower over the chancel bay flanked by a north vestry; eastern apsidal sanctuary. EXTERIOR: in late C12 Transitional style, many details, especially those of the terracotta, taken from Sharpe's studies of Yorkshire Cistercian Abbeys. West facade with wheel window over 2 lancets. 2-storey south porch, the entrance arch of 3 receding semicircular arches with 2 round-headed windows above. The nave bays are defined by pilaster buttresses at both aisle and clerestorey levels. 2 round-headed windows to each aisle bay, 2 roundels to each clerestorey bay with a prominent carved corbel table above. The square tower rises awkwardly with 2 small round-headed windows to the north and south sides. The tall bell-chamber stage has thin clasping buttresses with nook-shafts to each corner, and 2 pointed arch openings to each face, filled with 2-light plate tracery. Steep east and west gables to the lead roof, each with a vesica piscis opening. Apse with half-conical roof, divided into 3 bays by buttresses, each bay with a blind arcade of semicircular arches below a large round-headed window, and a continuous corbel-table gutter. INTERIOR: the northern third of the western transept is open internally to the ridge. The nave arcades are of terracotta, the round arches of 2 orders springing from columns with square scalloped capitals. The nave roof trusses are supported on triple terracotta shafts sitting on corbels within the arcade spandrels. The chancel and sanctuary arches are also of 2 orders rising from corbelled triple shaft responds. The chancel bay below the tower has a quadripartite plaster rib-vault and blind arcading to dado level on the north and south walls. The apse has a plaster cul-de-four vault and the windows are set within a continuous wall-arcade. FITTINGS include pews, which stretch from arcade to arcade without a central aisle, and a large pink marble font.

Listing NGR: SD4799660026

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 47996 60026

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Apr-2014 at 02:35:15.