List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CLAYDON HOUSE

List entry Number: 1288461

Location

CLAYDON HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
BuckinghamshireAylesbury ValeDistrict AuthorityMiddle Claydon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 25-Sep-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 399618

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 72 NW MIDDLE CLAYDON CLAYDON PARK

4/78 Claydon House

25.9.51

GV I

Mansion. W. wing containing state rooms built late 1760s-early 1770s for Ralph, second Earl Verney. Luke Lightfoot in charge of work until 1769, with intervention of Sir Thomas Robinson 1768- 1771. Remainder of house to rear is mid C18 remodelling of older building with S. front altered 1860s. Classical W. wing is of ashlar with plain sill course to ground floor, quoins and moulded cornice with modillions. Slate roof, ashlar chimneys. Barred sash windows in architrave surrounds. 2 storeys. W. front of 7 bays, 3 to centre slightly projecting and pedimented with shallow recessed arch over ground floor windows. Centre of ground floor has Serlian window with rusticated blocks over central arch and Doric jambs. Flanking ground floor windows have pulvinated friezes and pediments, segmental to end bays. Outer bays have bullseye windows between storeys, those to right blind and painted. Central first floor window has lugged architrave. Small round window in pediment above. N. front, altered 1790s, has 5 bays with alternating segmental and triangular pediments to ground floor windows, those in bays 2 and 3 with double doors. S. front of 3 bays is of header bond red brick with plain parapet and stone sill course and window architraves. Remainder of house: 3 storeys and basement. N. and part of E. fronts are of mid C18 brick with vitreous headers, red dressings and gauged heads to windows. Plain parapet, brick band courses. Barred sash windows, some round headed with intersecting glazing bars, some Serlian. C19 tower to right of N. front, C19 S. front of red brick with stone architraves to sash windows and 2 full-height canted bay windows with stone mullions and transoms. Interior: older part of house has C17 fireplace in ground floor. S.E. room, early C18 bolection panelling in entrance hall and C17 panelling with carved frieze re-sited in second floor room. The W. wing has exceptionally fine examples of contemporary decoration. The first floor rooms, North Hall and Pink Parlour have extravagant Rococo decoration with scrolls, foliage, birds and exotic motifs in carved wood by Lightfoot, carved marble fireplaces and 6 or 8-panel mahogany doors with mouldings. The North Hall and the Gothic and Chinese Rooms are especially impressive; the latter with pagoda-like alcove and doorcases. The Saloon and Library were decorated under the direction of Sir Thomas Robinson with heavily classical wooden doorcases, marble fireplaces and elaborate plaster ceilings in the style of Robert Adam by Joseph Rose. Fine staircase with inlaid treads, risers, handrail, landings and soffits, carved string, and delicate wrought iron balustrade of scroll work with ears of wheat. Above is a glazed oval dome with carved frieze of sea creatures. The W. wing is the surviving part of a larger scheme, the house formerly extending to the north with a central rotunda and matching ballroom wing designed by Robinson and demolished 1792. (National Trust Guide. Country Life: October 24th, 31st and November 7th 1952. RCHM II p. 198-9. Mon.2.)

Listing NGR: SP7191725334

Selected Sources

  1. Other  Reference - Title: An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire Volume Two North - Date: 1913 - Volume: 2 - Page References: 198-9
  2. Article  Reference - Title: 24 October - Date: 1952 - Journal Title: Country Life
  3. Article  Reference - Title: 31 October - Date: 1952 - Journal Title: Country Life
  4. Article  Reference - Title: 7 November - Date: 1952 - Journal Title: Country Life
  5. Article  Reference - Title: Claydon House - Journal Title: National Trust Guide
  6. Unpublished Title  Reference - Title: Part 4 Buckinghamshire - Journal Title: Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England

National Grid Reference: SP 71917 25334

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jul-2014 at 07:00:02.