List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BARROW HALL

List entry Number: 1288451

Location

BARROW HALL, WOLD ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
North LincolnshireUnitary AuthorityBarrow upon Humber

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 06-Nov-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 165819

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TA 0620-0720 BARROW UPON HUMBER WOLD ROAD (west side, off)

15/20 Barrow Hall 6.11.67 GV I

House, now residential home. 1789 for George Uppleby, with earlier C18 section to rear; extensive mid C19 additions to rear. Fine red brick in Flemish bond with scored pointing; limestone ashlar dressings. Welsh slate roof. L-shaped on plan: 2-room central entrance hall west front of 1789 with C19 extensions to rear right and north wing to rear left containing earlier C18 section and C19 services, servants accommodation and chapel to east end. 2 storeys, 5 bays; symmetrical. Deep plinth. Perron of 6 stone steps to tripartite entrance with half-glazed fielded-panel door and sidelights with glazing bars and moulded cills in pilastered Doric surround with plain entablature and central projecting columned porch with pediment. 12-pane ground floor sashes in reveals with rubbed brick flat arches and projecting stone rills. Two ashlar first floor bands with recessed ashlar balustrades beneath similar first floor sashes and central tripartite ashlar window with pilasters supporting cornice and pediment over central light. Modillion eaves cornice with ashlar blocking course. Hipped roof with pairs of axial and lateral stacks to rear with moulded ashlar cornices. Right return: plinth and first floor balustrade similar to front; single blocked windows to each floor of early section, tripartite ground floor sash and first floor 12-pane sash to matching C19 section to right. C19 south front has ashlar first floor bands, 12-pane sashes in reveals with rubbed brick arches and stone cills; chapel to rear has bellcote with wooden traceried panels. Interior. Hall has Doric columns and pilasters with acanthus capitals flanking entrance, flagged floor, dado rail, doors in architraves with ornate frieze and dentilled cornice; modillioned plaster cornice and panelled plasterwork ceiling to landing with fan motif; fine profiled cantilevered stone staircase with spiral curtail, wreathed mahogany handrail and wrought-iron balustrade with alternating S-scrolls and pairs of wavy bars; stair cupboard with ornate glazing. Upper hall has columned tripartite window, ceiling cornice and plasterwork similar to below. Ground floor left has white marble chimneypiece with fluted pilasters, entablature with ovals and fluted panels alternating in frieze and figured Wedgwood panels to centre (Offering to Flora) and ends to be displayed in this position in 1789: one of very few documented examples in existence. The frieze, pilasters and a band above the moulded dado rail are of contemporary floral tapestries in reeded surrounds, perhaps unique. Dentilled cornice, delicate plasterwork ceiling with central fan and garlands; 3 very fine 6- panel mahogany doors with brass fittings in architraves. Ground floor right has marble chimneypiece with Ionic columns, Sienna frieze with oval relief panels and dentilled cornice; pair of 6-panel mahogany doors in architraves with ornate composition frieze and cornice; moulded dado rail, moulded sunk wall panels, modillion cornice and delicate plasterwork ceiling. Room to rear wing has stone chimneypiece with central panel and wreathed urns. Bedrooms to first floor front have moulded cornices and good composition chimneypieces, that to centre right with consoles and Sienna marble slip. Room to rear wing has possibly earlier C18 coved ceiling ornamented with later C18 fluted bands etc. Re-used C18 balusters to back staircase and rear entrance hall. Panelled window shutters, doors in architraves throughout. Drawing by C Nattes, 1796, Banks Collection, Lincoln City Library; A Kelly, Decorative Wedgwood, 1965, 60,90,97; N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, 179-80.

Listing NGR: TA0662520550

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Kelly, A, Decorative Wedgwood, (1965), 60,90,97
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, Antram, N, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1989), 179-80

National Grid Reference: TA 06634 20551

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2014 at 10:49:52.