List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

List entry Number: 1288225

Location

CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
West BerkshireUnitary AuthorityTheale

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 14-Apr-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 400259

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 6471 THEALE CHURCH STREET (north side)

7/1 Church Of The Holy Trinity 14.4.67 G.V. I

Church. 1820-32, by E.W. Garbett with tower completed by John Buckler and apse added in 1892 by John Oldrid Scott. Ashlar with slate roofs. Lancet style. Nave, 5-sided polygonal apse, detached south-east tower and linking block, west porch and north vestry. Nave: moulded plinth and string course, arcaded corbelling to arcaded parapet, and parapeted gable ends with flanking pinnacles to east. 6 bays with paired lancets, separated by tall chamfered buttresses with gable caps. West front: flanking square turrets with trefoiled diamond band, arcaded top stage to parapet and short spire. Wheel window in gable end with 2 small flanking blank arches, triple shafted lancets beneath flanked by 2 buttresses and 2 lower shafted lancets, and arched doorway to right. Moulded and shafted west doorway and 2 doors with arched panelling. West porch with angle buttresses and trefoil in parapeted gable end flanked by pinnacles. 6 steps with wrought iron balustrade to moulded and shafted archway. 2 bay quadripartite vault inside with wall shafts. Apse: lower slate roof with finial; shafted lancet on each face. Vestry: formerly baptistery. Octagonal plan with pyrammidal slate roof and lancets on alternate faces; short linking block to nave with door to east. Tower: 4 stages of differing heights with angle buttresses, arcaded band above second stage and arcaded parapet with corner pinnacles, that to north-east larger. Triple shafted louvred lancets in each face of bell stage, with clock to west; narrow lancet in each face of third stage, and lancet to south, east and west in second stage. Passageway beneath with moulded and shafted arches to east and west. Quadripartite vault within with corner shafts and seats against walls. Former library to north linking to nave. 2 bays with lancets. Cast iron downpipes and pinnacled rainwater heads with the initials SS. Interior: 6 bay plaster nave vault with wall shafts, and shafted windows. West gallery and arcade below 5 bays wide and 2 bays deep with moulded arches and vaulting. Parapet with coat of arm and organ above. Shafted arch to apse with shafted lancets and 3 bay sedilia. Vestry door to north from Magdalen College Oxford. Chantry chapel to north is that of William Waynflete (1395-1486) and also came from Magdalen College in 1830. It is of 3 bays with straight sided arches, trefoils in spandrels, and shafts with foliated capitals. wall and vault painting in nave and chancel. Apse decoration by G.F. Bodley in 1892 of which only 2 angels remain, Fittings of various dates include choir stalls, pews, lectern, font and Minton tiles. Glass by Kempe of 1892. This church is remarkable at so early a date for its attempt at correct Gothic detailing B.0.E, Berkshire, pp.240-241; Berkshire Architectural Guide, Betjeman and Piper, Murray, 1949, p.146.

Listing NGR: SU6403071288

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1975), 240-241
'Murrays Architectural Guide' in Berkshire, (1949), 146

National Grid Reference: SU 64027 71290

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Nov-2014 at 02:54:42.