List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST EADBURGHA

List entry Number: 1287966

Location

CHURCH OF ST EADBURGHA, SNOWSHILL ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WorcestershireWychavonDistrict AuthorityBroadway

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 30-Jul-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 400976

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 03 NE BROADWAY CP SNOWSHILL ROAD 4/134 Church of St Eadburgha 30.7.59 GV I Church. Circa 1400, with remains of late C12 and later. Restored 1866. Limestone ashlar and rubble with stone slate roof. Comprises a nave, north and south aisles, north and south transepts, crossing tower and chancel. The west window, of c1400 but repaired, is of four trefoiled ogee lights under a pointed head with Perpendicular tracery. The aisles have embattled parapets and each has two windows and a central doorway. The western window of the south aisle is of two cinquefoiled ogee lights under a flat head. The eastern window is of two flat-headed lights under a flat head. The doorway is moulded and pointed. The stonework shows traces of blocked openings. The windows of the north aisle are of three cinquefoiled ogee lights under flat heads. The eastern window is a C19 restoration. The doorway is moulded and pointed. The north transept, partly rebuilt in the C19, has a window of two trefoiled ogee lights under a pointed head with flowing tracery. The east wall of the transept has a blocked opening with flat head and a doorway in the angle with the chancel leads to the stair turret of the tower. The south wall of the south transept contains a window of c1300, of three chamfered trefoiled ogee lights. The east window is of c1600 and has three elliptical lights under a flat head. The crossing tower has an embattled parapet with corner pinnacles. The bell openings are of two trefoiled ogee lights under flat heads with hoods. In the north wall of the chancel there is a window of two cinquefoiled ogee lights under a flat head. To its right is a blocked doorway with round head, probably C12. To its left is a chamfered doorway of c1600 with elliptical head. The south wall of the chancel has two windows of c1400 with flat heads and tracery. The western one is of three lights and the eastern one of two lights. Between them are the remains of two C13 single-light windows. The east window is of four cinquefoiled lights with Perpendicular tracery under a pointed head. Interior: five-bay nave arcades have round piers and responds and slightly pointed arches. The western arches are of two square orders and the eastern one on the south side is similar. The others are chamfered in two orders. All have scalloped capitals except for the western responds and the eastern pier on the north side which have moulded capitals. The nave roof has arch-braced rafters and two plain tie-beams. The arches of the crossing tower are pointed and chamfered in two orders. The western wall of the tower of c1400, slightly overlaps the first bay of the nave arcade. On the east side of each transept arch is a C12 respond remaining from the former east bay of the nave arcade, now occupied by the tower. Each has a capital added in C15. The chancel contains a moulded trefoiled piscina. In the south transept is another trefoiled piscina. Wall monuments include one in the chancel to Walter Savage, died 1640, with strapwork, Corinthian columns, angels heads, and a shield of arms. Against the east wall of the south transept is a monument of marble and slate to William Taylor, died 1745, by S Chandler. It has Composite columns and a segmental pediment. The turned communion rails are of c1700. Attached to the north wall of the chancel is a wooden panel with carved tracery and eight ogee arches containing figures. The choir benches, transept screens and pulpit incorporate some medieval woodwork including blind tracery carving. Close to the pulpit is a turned oak alms box of c1700. The font has a tapering bowl. Close to the north doorway is the hexagonal stem of another font, with slender engaged shafts. (BoE, p 102).

Listing NGR: SP0970536258

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Worcestershire - Date: 1968 - Page References: 102

National Grid Reference: SP 09705 36258

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Sep-2014 at 03:14:38.