List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST WENDREDA

List entry Number: 1287740

Location

CHURCH OF ST WENDREDA, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CambridgeshireFenlandDistrict AuthorityMarch

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 13-Mar-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 401388

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 49 NW MARCH CHURCH STREET (East Side)

8/9 Church of St 13. 3.51 Wendreda

GV I

Parish Church, mainly mid C14, c1400, late C15 and c1528. Restored 1874. Rubblestone with Barnack limestone dressings and flint and brick to late C15 clerestorey. Roof of nave leaded with tiles to rebuilt roof of chancel. Plan of West tower, nave, North and South aisles. South porch, and chancel. Four stage West tower and spire, 1350-1400, embattled with five stage buttressing. The ground stage spans a right of way or processional route with two loop window openings to the nave. Reticulated tracery to fenestration including fine west window, and bell chamber openings, Projecting newel stair turret in South East angle. Gable end of C14 nave roof visible in East wall of Tower. Nave, C14 with clerestorey and roof of late C15. Rubblestone, Barnack dressings, flint and brick. Embattled with gable end parapet surmounted by bellcote. Clerestorey of flint and stone flushwork. Each side with nine windows, each of two cinquefoil lights with vertical tracery in four centred arches with red brick and flint voussoirs. South aisle rebuilt in late C15, rubblestone and Barnack, embattled and on splayed plinth with band of quartrefoils. Main cornice with beast gargoyles. Two stage buttressing between bays, each having a window of three cinquefoil lights with vertical tracery. The South porch is similar to the South aisle and is dated 1528 (on beam in roof). Paired grotesques to main cornice. Ogee outer arch with ogee and hollow moulding and engaged shafts to responds. Inner arch of two continuous moulded order in two centred arch. Original roof with hollow chamfered main beam. Chancel rebuilt 1874 by W. Smith. In C14 style with reticulated tracery. Interior; South arcade late C13. Two centred arches to five bays, each with two chamfered orders on octagonal columns. The fifth bay is narrower. The North arcade although similar is later with four and a half bays. The westernmost bay has been incorporated in the tower. Two centred arches of three chamfered orders on octagonal columns and bases. The angel roof of the nave is particularly fine. It is of double hammer beam construction with a tier of winged angels to the soffits of the jackposts as well as the hammer beams. The North and South aisles are of similar late C15 date with blind arcading to the North and South walls. The font is C12, recut. There are brasses to Andrew Dredeman (d.1501) and his wife in the nave floor and to Anthony Hansard (d.1507) and his wife, in the South aisle.

Pevsner: Buildings of England p.437 V.C.H. Cambs. Vol. 4 T Bevis: The Story of a Famous Fen Church

Listing NGR: TL4151295211

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Bevis, T - Title: The Story of a Famous Fen Church
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Salzman, L F - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely - Date: 1959
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire - Date: 1954 - Page References: 437

National Grid Reference: TL 41512 95211

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Apr-2014 at 02:15:53.