List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WINSTANLEY HALL

List entry Number: 1287365

Location

WINSTANLEY HALL, PEMBERTON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WiganMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 23-Aug-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 402576

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BILLINGE-WITH-WINSTANLEY PEMBERTON ROAD SD 50 SW (west side) 8/39 Winstanley Hall 23.8.66 G.V. II* House. c.1573 with extensions and alterations, 1818-19, by Lewis Wyatt, and extensions of 1840s. Irregular plan, the garden front of 3 storeys, 5 bays with 2-storey, 3-bay 1840's extension to right. 1st and 5th bays project, 2nd and 4th bays form re-entrant blocks. Top cornice and deep parapet. Ground floor has tripartite sashes with glazing bars to 1st and 5th bays. Other windows have ovolo mullions and label moulds. To ground floor, 2nd and 4th bays have windows of 4 lights with transom, 3rd bay has 10-light window with king mullion and transom. 1st floor has 5:3:9:3:5-light windows, lst, 3rd and 5th bays have transoms. 2nd floor has 3-light windows, 2 to 3rd bay. Centre of parapet has armorial bearing and date 1819. Extension has varied fenestration and date 1843. Entrance front to left return, by Lewis Wyatt, of 5 bays with central 4-storey projecting entrance bay. Hollow-chamfered cross- mullion windowds with label moulds, no transoms to 2nd floor windows. Doric porch to entrance has Ionic entablature with pulvinated frieze and parapet; round-headed entrance with paired studded doors. Flat projecting lateral stacks between 1st and 2nd, 4th and 5th bays, with diagonal shafts. Rear has canted end bay, gabled bays and later extensions. Wide gabled bay has armorial bearings and date 1780, at least one Diocletian window. Varied mullioned and sashed windows. Right return has extensions of 1840's and one dated 1889, one canted bay has 1st floor iron balcony, attached to 1889 bays are 2 C17 bays with 2 entrances with architraves and bull's eyes. Interior: Principal rooms have friezes, cornices and fireplaces. Hall has panelling to one end. One room has wall paintings dating from wartime occupation by R.A.F. Stair has iron balusters, Diocletian window and ceiling rose. 1st floor room has C17 panelling and 2 cupboards with strap hinges; Tudor-head doorway. Room in 1840's extension has elaborate Jacobean style panelling with herms and fireplace with Jacobean style grate; room below has panelling and painted glass windows.

Listing NGR: SD5451803107

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 54518 03107

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Apr-2014 at 10:38:03.