List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1287233

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire West and ChesterUnitary AuthorityWeaverham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 03-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 403003

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WEAVERHAM C.P. CHURCH STREET SJ 67 SW 4/56 Church of St Mary 3/1/1967

GV I

Church: Tower mid C15, remainder C16,probably later C16, restorations of 1855 by Salvin, 1877 by Douglas when porch and vestry added. Ashlar red sandstone, Welsh slate roof. 5-bay nave and chancel, and aisles under roofs of parallel ridges and almost the same height, south porch, vestry and 4-stage west tower. South aisle has a moulded plinth, cill band and cornice, and an embattled parapet. The bays are divided by buttresses. The gabled south porch at the left end has a moulded 4-centred arched entrance on colonnettes with a label mould on carved head stops. Figure of Christ and inscription in the gable. Broad 4-centred arched 4-light aisle windows have minimal cavetto moulded tracery. The chapel window is slightly smaller. The east end, south aisle and nave windows are 5-light with uncusped panel tracery. North aisle is similar but of 4-lights. The north aisle is more barren than the south aisle and can be shown to have been added, but has a priest's door. The bold tower has diagonal buttresses, and bands at each floor. Band of cross motifs below parapet with gargoyles and an embattled parapet. Sharply pointed arch to the west door, restored 3-light west window and similar louvred bell openings in the top stage. South side has the Warburton arms. Interior: continuous 5-bay arcades in nave and chancel with no chancel arch. The arcades have octagonal piers with broad 4-centred arches. To the nave, the north aisle piers are thinner and their capitals differ from the chancel and the south aisle. Trusses in nave are sprung from stone corbels and are arch-braced with 2 diagonal struts. Roof contains 2 dormers of 3 semi-circular headed lights. South aisle has flat ceiling of moulded wooden cross beams (a C19 restoration). North aisle has a very low pitched panelled ceiling with deeply moulded members. North aisle chapel screens have fielded panels and a turned column balustrade above. The Wilbraham chapel in the south aisle has a similar parclose screen and balustrade, but with plank and moulded muntin panelling to the chapel screen. Fine communion rail of 1709 of twisted balusters and reredos of reset linenfold panelling brought from Dutton Old Hall. Good C18 brass chandelier in chancel. Simple octagonal font on a plain column has ornate Jacobean wooden cover of 8 brackets and a tall finial. This is a very large and complete church of the Post-Reformation period. The manor of Weaverham was held for 250 years by Vale Royal Abbey and so the church must have been rebuilt after the Dissolution by the new manorial owners.

Listing NGR: SJ6169374238

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 61691 74237

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Sep-2014 at 02:48:54.