List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE BEECHES

List entry Number: 1287228

Location

THE BEECHES, 224, CHESTER ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire West and ChesterUnitary AuthorityHartford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 03-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 18-Jul-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 402982

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HARTFORD C.P. CHESTER ROAD SJ 67 SW (North side) 4/35 No.224 (The Beeches) and no.226 (Hartford Beach) 3/1/1967

- II*

Formerly villa, now 2 houses: 1802 but remodelled 1814-24 by and for Thomas Marshall, salt baron (Pevsner and Hubbard): Small C20 extension. Stuccoed brick, low hipped Welsh slate roof, plastered chimneys. Gothick detailed classical house. 2-storey, originally symmetrical 5-bay north front. End bays of the original house are 2-storey canted bays with broad small-pane sashes with Gothick glazing bars. The windows are divided by colonnette clusters and have a label mould. Below the ground storey and above the top storey are cusped plaster panels. Centre is formed by projecting porch of 3 ogee arches with plaster detailing in the spandrels. Behind is a cross-vaulted roof and 2 Gothick sashes and a 5 panelled decorated door. The porch carries a simple iron balustrade and there are 2 Gothick sashes above with hood moulds. Small extensions to right and rear. Interior: The interior is richly detailed with Gothick motifs throughout with the exception of the later fireplaces. The mahogany doors are particularly fine. No.224: entrance in square hall with stone flagged floor. The walls have crocketted niches which are blocked to the side walls by late C19 pastoral oil paintings by J.Machin. Coved ceiling has tracery picked out with gilding. Main room to left has panelled ceiling of geometric patterns and cusped detailing. Behind hall is stairwell with open string staircase with alternate plain and cusped panel iron balusters. Rich ceiling and ogee plaster hoods to the doors upstairs. No.226: Retains most of its detailing. Main room on garden front has particularly fine doorcase with an ogee hood on colonnettes. Also surviving is an originally outside door which divides two-thirds, one-third with Gothick detailing and furniture.

Listing NGR: SJ6400172645

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Hubbard, E - Title: The Buildings of England: Cheshire - Date: 1971

National Grid Reference: SJ 64001 72645

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Jul-2014 at 03:29:18.