List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST OSWALD

List entry Number: 1286919

Location

CHURCH OF ST OSWALD, MOOR LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
DoncasterMetropolitan AuthorityBarnby Dun with Kirk Sandall

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 05-Jun-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 334903

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BARNBY DUN MOOR LANE SE 60 NW WITH KIRK SANDALL (north side), Kirk Sandall 8/39 Church of St. Oswald 5.6.68 (formerly listed as at Sandall Parva) GV II* Church. C12, C14 and C16 with later additions, restored 1864 (by J. M. Teale) and in 1935. Rubble and ashlar limestone, lead and tile roofs. 2-bay aisled nave with south porch and truncated tower rising from aisle behind, C20 north vestry; 2-bay chancel with larger 2-bay north chapel. Nave: C12 south aisle has large quoins and pebble-work to lower courses; 1864 porch to bay 1 with pointed arch and hoodmould beneath coped gable with cross; C12 south doorway within has a lightly-chamfered, 2-order round arch having single order of columns with plain capitals; 2-light window to bay 2 (renewed in 1864) has pointed arch and hoodmould with carved-head stops; end walls each have a small C12 window. Above bay 1 of aisle rises a single stage of tower added in 1828 but truncated in 1935, it has a 2-light south window and corniced eaves to pyramidal roof with louvred gablets. West wall of nave (earlier C12) incorporates same herringbone courses above a C14 three-light west window with intersecting tracery and hoodmould with weathered stops beneath gable quatrefoil. North aisle has buttresses flanking a 2-light west window and 2-light north window to east of C20 vestry which encloses a narrow triangular-headed doorway with hoodmould. Aisles under catslide roofs from nave with C19 kneelers and gable copings with apex crosses. Chancel: C12, rewindowed C15 with cusped 2-light south windows in chamfered, square-headed surrounds; 3-light east window has panel tracery. String course beneath ashlar parapet with roll-moulded copings and shallow east gable with cross. Rokeby Chapel (to north ) built soon after 1521: Perpendicular with cyma-moulded plinth and moulded band. East end, set forward, has diagonal buttresses and string course beneath restored and infilled 5-light window with cusped lights and panel tracery beneath 4-centred arch with hoodmould; heraldic shield beneath hollow string course carved with animals; embattled parapet with apex niche, (pinnacles removed). North side has diagonal west buttress and buttress between two 4-light windows.

Interior: late C12 aisle arcades with half-round responds; octagonal piers and broad, square capitals to plain round arches; round-headed piscina in south aisle and complete embrasures to the C12 end windows; C19 roof. Chancel: double-chamfered chancel arch, the inner order on corbels; moulded and hollow-chamfered C15 arches from north aisle and from chancel into chapel which has altered niches flanking the east window, arcading of cinquefoiled blind panels on north wall and fine C16 roof with intricately-carved tie beams, bosses at each crossing and central pendant boss. Fittings: cylindrical Norman font on two-step plinth. Excellent traceried wooden screens to west of chancel and chapel, the chancel screen of 3 : 2 : 3 divisions with crocketed, ogee panels to dado and central 4-panel door with 4-light tracery, the upper panels pierced; side panels set beneath small twin ogee canopies; main shafts with tiny figures in niches at the capitals; canopy has carved vinetrail and pierced cresting. The chapel screen similar but of 1 : 2 : 1 divisions. Monuments in Rokeby Chapel: floor slabs include that to Thomas Rokeby (d.1669). Large marble wall monument on east wall to Thomas Rokeby (d.1621) has consoles with floral drops and cherubs head flanking a domed oval plaque with Latin inscription, cartouche over and open segmental pediment containing cartouche and mantling beneath draped urn. On north wall the tomb of Archbishop William Rokeby (d.1521) with foiled, 4-panel base and canopy on shafts with foiled frieze and cresting; some inscribed brasses within. To its left a weathered C17 cartouche above marble plaque. On south wall a scrolled pedimented monument to William Rokeby (d.1662) has shield of arms over. Brasses: on east wall a plate with 8 lines of verse which originally marked the burial spot of Archbishap Rokeby. Other brasses on floor to Thomas Boucher (d.1658) and wife Elizabeth (d.1677). Stained glass: western north chapel window has jumbled C16 glass with incomplete figures of saints.

Chapel built soon after the death of William Rokeby, Bishop of Meath, Archbishop of Dublin and Chancellor of Ireland and formerly a vicar of Kirk Sandal1. Church now in the care of the Redundant Churches Fund.

Council for Places of Worship Report ref. PM 821 (description and inventory).

P. F. Ryder, Saxon churches in South Yorkshire, County Archaelogy Monograph No. 2, 1982 page 94 (plan).

Listing NGR: SE6092808130

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Council For Places of Worship Report' in Council For Places of Worship Report, , Vol. 821, ()
Ryder, P F, 'South Yorkshire County Archaeological Monograph' in Saxon Churches in South Yorkshire, (1982)

National Grid Reference: SE 60928 08130

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Nov-2014 at 09:42:27.