List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE OLD RECTORY

List entry Number: 1286673

Location

THE OLD RECTORY, RAUNDS ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireEast NorthamptonshireDistrict AuthorityStanwick

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 26-Apr-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 17-Jun-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 232427

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

RAUNDS RAUNDS ROAD SP97SE (North side) Stanwick 5/125 The Old Rectory 26/04/50 (Formerly listed as Stanwick Rectory) GV II*

Rectory, now house. Datestone 1717 refers to rebuilding by Sir James Burrough for Peter Needham, probably partially remodelled C19. Squared coursed limestone with ashlar facade and felted and battened roof at time of inspection. Double depth plan. 2 storeys with attic. Main front of 5-window range. Central boarded door has moulded stone architrave and flight of steps. Sash windows with glazing bars also have moulded stone architraves. Raised string course between floors and moulded stone cornice. Hipped roof with stone stacks. Elevation to left has long arch-head stair window, with glazing bars. Rear elevation, also of 5-window range of sash windows with glazing bars, under stone lintels, was probably remodelled mid C19. Central ashlar porch with panelled door has datestone. Interior not inspected but noted from photographs as having C18 staircase with 3 turned balusters per tread and fielded panelled rooms. Rebuilt in 1717 at a cost of £1,000. The previous rectory was home of William Dolbens. (V.C.H.: Northamptonshire, Vol.4, p.51; N.M.R.: Photographic collection).

Listing NGR: SP9793571469

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Ryland, W, Adkins, D, Sejeantson, R, The Victoria History of the County of Northampton, (1937), 51

National Grid Reference: SP 97935 71469

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2014 at 04:14:08.