List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FOTHERINGAY HOUSE TENNYSON HOUSE

List entry Number: 1285639

Location

FOTHERINGAY HOUSE, 14, MONTPELIER ROW
TENNYSON HOUSE, 15, MONTPELIER ROW

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityRichmond upon ThamesLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 02-Sep-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 205564

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5028 MONTPELIER ROW

No 14 (Fotheringay House) No 15 (Tennyson House) TQ 1673 & 1773 21/8 2.9.52

II* GV

2. Slightly taller houses with red window dressings. No 14: 5-windows, rusticated doorway as Nos 12 and 13, but with stucco cherubs head ornament (imported) attached to keystone. Name on decorated plaque. No 15: 4-windows wide. Elaborate doorcase (stained dark brown and possibly imported) with enriched surround and deep cornice hood on carved consoles. No glazing bars except to window to left of ground floor. Return of No 15 on Chapel Lane has a C18, 2-storey stucco bow projecting from first floor, and a Corinthian pilastered doorcase. No 14 was at one time occupied by Joseph Skelton, antiquarian and engraver, who published the 1823 "Oxonia Antiqua Restaurata". No 15 was formerly called Chapel House and later Holyrood House. It was occupied in 1850 by Tennyson who is said to have written "In Memoriam" there.

Listing NGR: TQ1701373745

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 17013 73745

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 01:47:12.