List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1285509

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, BARROW ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SuffolkSt. EdmundsburyDistrict AuthorityDenham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-Jul-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 283730

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 76 SE DENHAM BARROW ROAD

5/23 CHURCH OF ST MARY 14.7.55

- II*

Church; mediaeval with c.1605 chapel; restored 1846. Nave, chancel, north chapel, south porch, west tower. Flint rubble (1846 work faced in rounded flints), chapel red brick; limestone quoins and dressings, parapet gables with kneelers. Plaintiled roof. Nave has unmoulded arched Norman north doorway, blocked C19: C19 lancet and 2-light perpendicular-style windows in south wall. C19 South doorway and parapet gabled porch. Tower, 1846 in early perpendicular style with crenellated parapets and 3-light west window. Chancel has mid C14 2-light cusped east window; smaller similar south window restored 1846. Roof rebuilt 1846 over nave, chancel and chapel ; pine scissor trusses with butt purlins and boarded soffits with square applied panels and crenellated cornice; the trusses sit on limestone carved grotesque corbels - mediaeval or well-copied in C19 from original patterns. C19 benches, organ and octagonal pulpit. Mediaeval limestone octagonal font on octagonal shaft and base; unmoulded, possibly C13 or C14. Early C17 oak panelling in sanctuary with original painted floral decoration; said to be taken from Denham Hall. In the Chapel (almost rebuilt C19), a large canopied table monument to Sir Edward Lewkenor and Susan his wife who both died 1605 of smallpox; kneeling effigies of both, with 8 children; canopy has obelisks and strapwork, supported on Corinthian columns. Another monument to grandson Sir Edward Lewkenor, (died 1634, also of smallpox) a marble tomb by S. and M. Christmas with recumbent effigy in armour.

Listing NGR: TL7558561823

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 75585 61823

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Nov-2014 at 02:32:41.