List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1284943

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, SOUTHEND

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireSouth OxfordshireDistrict AuthorityGarsington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 18-Jul-1963

Date of most recent amendment: 18-Aug-1963

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 246439

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 5802 GARSINGTON SOUTHEND (West side) 8/51 Church of St Mary 18/07/63 GV II*

Church. c.1200, c.1300, C14 restored c.1850, Limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; some Westmorland slate roofs. 4-bay aisled nave with chancel, west tower and south porch. Chancel of c.1300 has three 2-light windows each side with Y-tracery, the western pair lower with transoms; 3-light east window with intersecting tracery, and priests door in south wall. 2-light square headed side windows of nave have oggee tracery. Reticulated tracery in west windows of aisles. 3-light east window to south asile has lobed tracery. -stage Transitional tower of c.1200 has at the lower stage, clasping buttresses and round-headed west window with pointed outer arch and detached shafts, plain lancets to the second stage, and pairs of lancets to each face of the top stage with outer roll-mouled arches on detached shafts and linked hood- moulds, below a decayed corbel table. Interior: C14 nave arcades of 2 chamfered orders under hood-moulds - round piers to north and later octagonal piers to south. Sexfoil clerestory lights have 3-centred rear arches. Tower arch has shafts and stiff-leaf capitals. Chancel arch, probably all roofs, wooden south porch, winged parapet gargoyles and much rebuilding, particularly of the north aisle, date from a thorough restoratin of 1849 by Joseph Clarke. Woodwork all C19 except for barley twist communion rail in south aisle and C15 screen re-set in tower arch. Glass: Armorial panels of 1845 by J.H. Russell; east window of 1883, brought from Church of St. Giles, Oxford. Monuments: Mutilated floor slab c.1300; brass 1484; C18 wall tablets to members of Wickham and Sadler families; shallow relief profile of Lady Ottoline Morrell (died 1938) said to be by Eric Gill. (V.C.H. Oxfordshire, V, pp.154-6; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire pp.610-11).

Listing NGR: SP5806002017

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 610-11
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1957), 154-6

National Grid Reference: SP 58060 02017

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Oct-2014 at 07:48:49.