List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE OLD CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

List entry Number: 1284666

Location

THE OLD CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireVale of White HorseDistrict AuthorityHatford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 21-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 250931

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HATFORD CHURCH STREET SU39SW (North side) 5/101 The Old Church of St. George 21/11/66 GV II*

Church. Mid C12, chancel remodelled in late C13. Uncoursed limestone rubble with late C19 buttressing; late C19 tiled roof. Nave and chancel; bell turret demolished in 1873. Late C13 three-light stepped east window; south chancel wall has late C13 one- and 2-light windows flanking mid C12 priest door with splayed architrave; north chancel wall has mid C19 one-light lancet and one one-light square window. South wall of nave has one early C16 four-light window with arched heads and one late C13 one-light window. Mid C12 south doorway has C19 plank door retaining mid C12 decorative hinges with flattened beasts head terminals; scalloped capitals zig-zag decoration to arch; stone slate water tabling over door. In top left corner of north wall is C17 sundial on chalk block. North wall of nave has one late C13 four-light window with restored mullions. One late C13 one-light window and doorway with pointed arch and splayed architrave. Late C13 two-light west window much restored c.1970 with a high transom cutting across the top of the cusped lights. Interior: Mid C17 panelling behind altar, C17 and C18 ledger stones on floor, especially slate ledgers with brass shields, achievements and inscriptions to Francis Piggot, 1614, Martha Piggot, 1629, and Margaret Piggot, 1637; wall tablet to John and Elizabeth Tyrell, d.1762 and 1760; in north wall is carved head and shallow pointed arch with moulded architrave over late C13 effigy, his hands holding his heart and his feet resting on a hound. Chancel has late C15 three-bay crown post roof. Mid C12 chancel arch with scalloped capitals. Nave has stone flag floor and late C19 three-bay queen post roof. At west end of nave is mausoleum for the Rev. Samuel Paynter, d.1893. Paired grey granite Doric columns support west gallery, red granite sarcophagus. (Buildings of England:. Berkshire, p.154; H.T. Morley, Monumental Brasses of Berkshire, 1924, p.127; V.M. Howse, Hatford: A Parish Record, 1976, pp.27-40).

Listing NGR: SU3371994817

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Morley, HT , Monumental Brasses of Berkshire, (1924), 127
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1975), 154
Other
Howse, VM, Hatford A Parish Record, (1976)

National Grid Reference: SU 33719 94817

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Dec-2014 at 02:36:46.