List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1284661

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireSouth OxfordshireDistrict AuthorityWheatley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 18-Jul-1963

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 246960

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for;

SP 5905 WHEATLEY CHURCH ROAD (north side)

7/193 Church of St Mary 18.7.63 GV II

the grade shall be amended to read; II* (star)

------------------------------------

WHEATLEY CHURCH ROAD SP5905 (North side) 7/193 Church of St. Mary 18/07/63

GV II

Church. 1855-7 by G.E. Street. Coursed squared limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; plain-tile roof. 3-bay aisled nave, chancel with 2-bay north aisle, west tower and south porch. C13 style. Chancel and aisles have grouped lancets separated by buttresses with cusped circular windows over the lancets at the ends of the south aisle. South porch, built 1887, has an outer arch in Decorated style. West tower, completed by Street in 1868, has a broach spire with tall 2-light belfry openings in the gables and lucarnes on the angles. West doorway of 3 chamfered orders below a 3-light window with plate tracery. Interior: Very plain with arch-braced collar-truss roofs, except chancel which has a wagon roof and carved capitals to aisle and east window. Stained glass of 1875 in east widow. C19 fittings. (V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.V, p,115; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, pp.837-8).

Listing NGR: SP5969605790

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Salzman, L F - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Oxford - Date: 1957 - Volume: 5 - Page References: 115
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Sherwood, J - Title: The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire - Date: 1974 - Page References: 837-8

National Grid Reference: SP 59696 05790

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Sep-2014 at 10:22:31.