List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: COTE BAPTIST CHURCH

List entry Number: 1284460

Location

COTE BAPTIST CHURCH

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireWest OxfordshireDistrict AuthorityAston, Cote, Shifford and Chimney

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 08-Oct-1981

Date of most recent amendment: 17-Oct-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 252074

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ASTON BAMPTON AND SHIFFORD COTE

SP30SE 10/3 Cote Baptist Church 08/10/81 (Formerly listed as Baptist Chapel)

GV II

Baptist church. Mid C18 (c.1738). Coursed limestone rubble; gabled stone slate roof, One-cell plan. Georgian style. Gabled 2-storey, 3-window range front. Semi-circular arch over window with leaded lights, flanked by bracketed flat hoods and flat stone arches over C18 four-panelled doors. similar first-floor windows: flat-topped gable surmounted by plaque with side scrolls. Similar windows to left side wall and rear wall, each of 2-window range. One-storey range to right, of similar materials with stone end stack, has flat stone arch over plank door and round-arched windows with leaded lights. Interior: all fittings installed in 1859. Box pews with hinged doors; gallery with panelled front supported on corrugated iron posts and reached from 2 sets of C19 quarter-turn stairs. Pulpit with shaped and panelled front and reader's desk, with lectern, at west end. Memorial tablet to Thomas Dunscombe, pastor, d.1811. The chapel was founded in 1656. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.557).

Listing NGR: SP3511403097

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Sherwood, J - Title: The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire - Date: 1974 - Page References: 557

National Grid Reference: SP 35114 03097

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Oct-2014 at 07:17:39.