List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

List entry Number: 1284314

Location

CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireSouth OxfordshireDistrict AuthorityWaterstock

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 05-Jun-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 246734

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WATERSTOCK SP60NW 6/213 Church of St. Leonard 18/07/63

GV II*

Church. Late C15 for Thomas Danvers, Lord of the Manor; nave and chancel rebuilt 1790, and restored 1857 by G.E. Street. Limestone ashlar; stone-slate roofs. Nave, chancel, north aisle, west tower and north and south porches. Chancel has C19 windows with Geometrical Decorated tracery, and the C19 vestry, to north, has square-headed windows. South wall of nave, with moulded eaves and plinth, has a C14 style porch, sheltering an elaborate 4-centre arched doorway, between 2 square-headed 3-light windows, probably all by Street. The C15 model for the windows is on the north side of the nave. The C15 north aisle has an arched 3-light east window, with Perpendicular tracery, and 3-light square-headed windows to north and west. A small stone C19 porch with trefoil arch shelters a plain Tudor-arched doorway. The 2-stage C15 tower has small openings with labels plus a 2-light arched Perpendicular west window. Interior: Chancel arch and 2-bay north arcade have concave-sided octagonal piers and responds. Fittings are all C19 and include a painted metal-sheet reredos. Stained glass in the north aisle includes C14 and C15 donor figures in the cusped heads above an armorial window entitled "The Genealogie of the family of the Asshehursts", plus C19 glass in the aisle east window; mid-C19 windows by Willement in the chancel and tower. Monuments include a large wall monument to George Croke (died 1641) with a painted demi-figure on an inscribed plinth framed by Corinthian columns supporting an open segmental pediment; also a Baroque cartouche to Francis Hinde (died 1720). The C15 work is attributed by John Harvey to William Orchard. (V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.VII, pp.227-9; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, pp,828-9),

Listing NGR: SP6356005578

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Salzman, L F - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Oxford - Date: 1962
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Sherwood, J - Title: The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire - Date: 1974 - Page References: 828-9

National Grid Reference: SP 63560 05578

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Sep-2014 at 06:56:45.