List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1284309

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH WALK

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireVale of White HorseDistrict AuthorityShrivenham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 21-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 250577

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. SHRIVENHAM CHURCH WALK Church of St Andrew 21.11.66 SU 2489 6/30

I

2. Originally a c12 foundation, cruciform in plan whose central tower was rebuilt early in the C15. This Perp tower and 2 pilaster buttresses on the W wall were retained when the church was rebuilt at the expense of Lord Craven in 1638. The solution was to create a rectangular space on a line with the end walls of the nave, chancel and transepts. A W porch was added in the mid C18. The church is built of coursed rubble stone and stone dressings with dressed stone quoins and ashlar facing to the W porch. The central tower rises 3 storeys above the roofline and has diagonal buttresses with set-offs and carved figures, 2 light pointed bell openings with Somerset tracery and a final string course with gargoyles beneath a recently restored embattled parapet with corner pinnacles. The apexes of the original roofs on the cruciform church are clearly visible on all four sides. On the S face is a diamond shaped clock and on the roof is a weather vane. The body of the church has plain parapets to the N & S and pedimented parapets to E & W. It is lit by excessively tall 4 light cusped Perp style windows with flat heads linked by a continuous string course. The W front has a 5 light window above the centrally placed porch whose W wall has a pediment and whose N & S faces have 4 centred archways to the studded plank doors with hood moulds and curious scrolled label stops. The E end is a symmetrical composition with 2 three light windows flanking a central 5 light window and below the outer windows 2 doors similar to those on the W porch. On the SW corner are 2 sundials and below them the inscription: 'All these dials were made by Salem Pearse, 1720'. Inside the classicism glimpsed in the uniformity and symmetry of the exterior is achieved in the arcades of the 3 bay nave and 2 bay chancel which have bulbous Tuscan Doric piers with an entasis to the mid point supporting heavily moulded capitals and round arches. The tower arches were also rebuilt but in a markedly medieval manner with continuous mouldings to the pointed arches. The fan vault beneath the ringing stage is original. Also original is the rood loft newel staircase in the SW pier of the tower. The nave and chancel roofs are covered with simple late Perp tie beam timber structures with open panelling between the principal rafters. The side aisles have simple lean-to timber ceilings. All the windows have semi-circular rere arches and one above the W door has shafts with capitals of Transitional date. There are various interesting monuments in the church of which the most ancient is a C14 defaced effigy of a woman in the S aisle. Others include several large black slate tablets with armorial crests to the Barrington family of Beckett Hall set in the floor of the chancel, two mural tablets either side of the altar to John Wildman and John Shute of 1713 and 1734 respectively and a neo-classical urn a round plinth of 1793 on the NE corner of the tower facing the altar to William Wildman designed by James Wyatt and sculpted by Richard Westmacott. The chancel E window has 3 fine panes of armorial glass and hanging from the roof there are 3 brass chandeliers, the centre one bears the inscription: 'Ex douo Guillielmi Parson 1726'. The woodwork throughout is an exceptional survival of the period of rebuilding: a pulpit with tester whose panels have perspective decoration as too has a contemporary chair in the sanctuary, the pews under the tower and the pews to the nave, cut down in 1887 and the panelling on the aisle walls. The chancel screens are pseudo C17 of 1901. The late C12 font of Purbeck marble has an octagonal bowl with round arched blind panelling set on a round Stem with an octagonal base. The brass eagle lectern is of 1901. In the porch is an enormous benefactions board and a royal coat of arms dated 1764.

Listing NGR: SU2407289077

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 24075 89078

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2014 at 10:35:48.