List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST LAURENCE

List entry Number: 1283757

Location

CHURCH OF ST LAURENCE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireWest OxfordshireDistrict AuthorityCombe

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 27-Aug-1957

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 252698

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 29/10/2012

SP4115 17/45 27/08/57

COMBE Church of St. Laurence

(Formerly listed as Church of St. Lawrence)

GV I

Church. Built 1395 for Eynsham Abbey (datestone). Coursed limestone rubble, rendered over chancel, with ashlar quoins and dressings; gabled stone slate chancel roof and shallow-gabled lead roofs; gabled porches of stone slates to south and flagstones to north. Chancel, nave and west tower. Perpendicular style. 5-light east window with panel tracery; off-set corner buttresses; 2-light window with restored head to north; south side wall has label moulds over 2- and 3-light square-headed windows and 2-centred double hollow-chamfered doorway. 4-bay nave has hood moulds over 3-light windows with panel tracery; offset buttresses divide bays, which each have parapet with quatrefoil-carved frieze. South porch: moulded pointed-arched doorway set in stone-coped gable with offset corner buttresses and fleur-de-lys finial with 1395 date; cinquefoil-headed side lights; moulded stone ribs support ceiling; ancient plank door with iron fittings set in hollow-chamfered pointed-arched doorway. North porch: hood mould over casement-moulded doorway; late C19/early C20 3-light window to left; early C12 round-arched inner doorway. 3-stage west tower: offset corner buttresses; label mould over pointed-arched hollow-chamfered doorway with cusped mouchettes in spandrels; restored 3-light west window with panel tracery; cusped lights and hood-moulds with head stops over 2-light belfry windows; string course with gargoyles and carved heads beneath crenellated parapet with corner finials. Interior: trefoiled piscina, and 3 sedilia set under crocketed canopies. C18 communion rail. Late C14 three-bay wagon roof, with corbelled posts braced laterally to ashlar plate. Double-chamfered chancel arch; late C14 rood stairs to north and canopied image niche and trefoiled piscina to south. Rare late C14 polygonal stone pulpit, carved with blind tracery and resting on ribbed stem. 4-bay depressed tie-beam roof, braced to corbelled posts. C19 font to west; C15 octagonal font, with relief carvings of figures, on floor to east. Wall paintings: parts of complete painted scheme of c.1440, discovered 1894. Doom painting over chancel arch has Christ flanked by Apostles and scenes of the Last Judgement. Crucifixion with the Virgin and St. John to north-east. Part of Annunciation to south-east with hands of God above Gabriel holding scroll. St. Christopher fording the stream, over south door, painted over by C17 Ten Commandments and Moses and Aaron. Painting of St. Catherine holding sword and wheel near north door. Two C17 devotional texts to north and south walls. C15 stained glass: east window has canopies set in panel tracery and, in the tracery glass, Christ and the Virgin in Majesty flanked by two Cherubim and a censing angel. East window of south side of nave has figure of St. James Major holding wallet, staff and pilgrims hat. Nave windows have C15 Cherubim set in panel tracery lights. Late C19 west window of south side of nave has reset C15 fragments. (buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p551-2; C.E. Emden, Combe: Church and Village, 1970, p7-12; National Monuments Record; Bodleian Library, Topographical Drawings, for drawings of late C18 onwards including details by R.C. Buckler)

Listing NGR: SP4138615880

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Emden, CE, Combe Church and Village, (1970), 7-12
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 551-2

National Grid Reference: SP 41387 15879

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 01:45:02.