List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MONICA

List entry Number: 1283647

Location

CHURCH OF ST MONICA, FERNHILL ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SeftonMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 19-Mar-1981

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 216415

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BOOTLE FERNHILL ROAD SJ 39 NE (west side) 10/15 Church of 19.03.81 St. Monica II Catholic Church. 1936. By. F.X. Velarde. Fawn brick and green pantile roof. Nave with aisles, wide west tower with narthex, and chancel with north chapel (ritual west is actual east) and organ loft. Narthex has entrance with relief figure in canted panel over door and flanking 2-light windows. Small stones below parapet with symbols and date stone inscribed "JCF 1936". Tower has 3 windows of 2 lights and 3 transoms, the upper lights round headed, zig-zag frieze and cornice. Above these, 3 tall relief angels by H. Tyson Smith. The returns of the tower have 2-light window and relief eagle. Aisles of 6 bays have 2-light windows with 3 transoms. Above the parapet, transverse arches serve as flying buttresses. Chancel has 7-light, 2- transom window to north, all lights round-headed. Low chapel has 7-light north window. Organ loft has 4-light, 2- transom east window. Interior: Round tower arch and round arch to baptistery on south side of narthex, with chrome gates. Round nave arcades, aisles pierced through internal buttresses, that to north a passage aisle only. Small paired lights to clerestory. Flat ceiling with longitudinal ribs. Chancel east wall has fluted pilasters and relief checkwork; 6 relief angels by W.L. Stevenson. Triangular niches for cross, and high baldachino. Low 7-light window to chapel and 2-light 2-transom screen to organ loft. Chrome altar rail and gates to chapel. Nave altar.

Listing NGR: SJ3503395688

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 35033 95688

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Aug-2014 at 04:47:47.