List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: LYFORD GRANGE

List entry Number: 1283468

Location

LYFORD GRANGE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireVale of White HorseDistrict AuthorityLyford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 09-Feb-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 249627

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LYFORD SU39SE 7/129 Lyford Grange 09/02/66

- II*

House. c.1430-80, for More family: mid C16 alterations and rear wing for Thomas Yates. Roughcast over original timber framing: C15 close studding with middle rail to rear wall and to part of adjoining wall of mid C16 right wing. Left side wall and left wing of limestone rubble. Hipped stone slate roof; mid C16 brick ridge stack finished in early/mid C18 brick, and moulded top to early/mid C18 ridge stack to left. Courtyard plan: range to rear (north-west) demolished c.1817. 2 storeys: 4-window front range. C20 flat hood and C19 moulded architrave to C20 door in central bay. C19 eight-pane sashes in outer bays except early C18 wood cross-window with leaded-lights to lower left: moulded wood cornice. Similar cross-window to rear. Right gable wall has C20 French windows set in C16 cavetto-moulded stone architrave. Moulded end stack to rear gable wall of truncated right wing. Interior: former hall has, in present attic, a 4-bay roof of arched-braced collar trusses flanking central collar truss which has mortices for decorative braces and ends of moulded tie beam: cusp-chamfered windbraces, and chamfered principals and butt purlins. Timber-framed partition divides off 2-bay room to left, with queen post truss. 2-bay parlour end to right: moulded beams, fine mid Cl6 stone moulded fireplace set within mid Cl6 panelled wall on first floor. C16 plank door opens to closet in front of chimney stack which has 3 lights divided by cavetto-moulded mullions over low studded wall facing hall, and similar mullion of blocked window to front: deep embrasured window surround to right suggests original oriel. Roof of right wing remodelled in C18. This moated site, formerly a grange of Abingdon Abbey, was acquired in 1538 by John Yates of Charney Bassett. It was probably remodelled after 1540 by his son Thomas whose son Francis sheltered Edmund Campion of the ill-fated Jesuit Mission in July 1581: Campion was caught and executed at Tyburn the following December. An Agnus Dei found in the roof in 1959, bears witness to his visit since it is dated 1578 and bears the inscription of Pope Gregory XIII. (V.M. Howse, Lyford: A Parish Record, pp.27-38; V.C.H.: Berkshire, Vol.IV, pp.285, 290; Evelyn Waugh, Edmund Campion, 1980, pp.141-50).

Listing NGR: SU3961794531

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1924), 285
Waugh, E, Edmund Campion, (1980), 141-50
Other
Howse, VM, Lyford A Parish Record,

National Grid Reference: SU 39617 94531

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Dec-2014 at 09:45:16.