List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1283304

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SuffolkMid SuffolkDistrict AuthorityDebenham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 09-Dec-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 281517

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DEBENHAM HIGH STREET (east side) TM 16 SE 6/93 Church of St Mary 9.12.55 GV I

Parish church. Medieval, restored 1871 (nave) and 1883-4 (chancel). Aisled nave, chancel, west tower, Galilee porch with former guild chapel over. Flint rubble, stone dressings. South aisle and facade of porch faced in knapped flint. Slated roofs to nave and chancel, aisle roofs leaded. Square unbuttressed tower, substantially of c.1100, with herringbone flintwork and long and short work to quoins; 2 lancet windows to south. Late C14 rebuilding at top: 2-light belfry openings, embattled stone parapet. A spire was removed in mid C17. Late C14 Galilee porch: buttresses to west face contain statue niches, with a 3rd niche over the moulded entrance arch; all original stonework is much weathered. Restored C17 entrance gates with turned balusters. Good moulded doorway into base of tower with original doors. C15 4-bay south aisle has flushwork to buttresses and an embattled parapet with 3 pinnacles. To south, renewed 3-light windows and at west end a doorway with enriched arch and shield-carved spandrels, partly renewed C19. Renewed 4- light east window. C15 4-bay north aisle with renewed windows and moulded doorway. 8-bay clerestorey with 3-light windows. Nave has 3-light gable window to east. Mid C13 3-bay chancel, considerably restored C19. Lancet windows to north, 2 renewed. 2-light windows with plate tracery to south. Priest's doorway has one order of colonnettes. East window of 1883 has 3 grouped lancets. Interior. Fine 4-bay aisle arcades with richly-carved capitals. Chancel arch, raised in C15, has similar capitals. Circa 1100 tower arch to west, the imposts with a simple incised geometric design. Arch to east rebuilt. C15 nave roof is in 8 bays: alternate tie beams and hammerbeams, both embattled, from which spring short moulded arched braces. Moulded principals, purlins and ridge piece; embattled cornice. 5 mutilated angel corbels at foot of wallposts, the remainder lost. At east end the moulded and embattled rood beam. Original aisle roofs. Scissor-braced rafter roof of 1884 over chancel. Rood loft stair at north east corner of south aisle. Chancel piscina has pointed trefoil arch on colonnettes with crocketted gable above. Piscina in north aisle re-uses many carved stone fragments. C15 octagonal font bowl with mutilated carving. C19 pyramidal font cover. Early C17 carved pulpit on C19 stone base. Set of poppyhead benches of 1871. 2 good monuments. In south chancel, Sir Charles Framlingham (1595) and his wife: full-size recumbent effigies on carved tomb chest. 2 hatchments above. In south aisle, Rev. John Simpson (1697). For further details of these monuments see Pevsner.

Listing NGR: TM1744563208

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Suffolk - Date: 1961

National Grid Reference: TM 17445 63208

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Apr-2014 at 11:10:42.