List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHRIST CHURCH

List entry Number: 1283013

Location

CHRIST CHURCH, LLOYD STREET NORTH

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ManchesterMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Apr-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 388287

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MANCHESTER

SJ89NW LLOYD STREET NORTH, Moss Side 698-1/4/758 (West side) 24/04/87 Christ Church

II*

Church. 1896-1904, by Cecil Hardisty; dated 1896 on plaque at east end. Glazed red brick with red sandstone dressings and steeply pitched slate roof. Free late Gothic style with Arts and Crafts features. Nave and full-height chancel, north aisle to nave with mono-pitched roof, south aisle to both nave and aisle with pitched roof concealed by parapet, west porch with corner bellcote. String course stepped and carried round. The west end has a 3-bay single-storey porch with narrow buttresses flanking the centre finished as octagonal pinnacles rising through a parapet which has a traceried open-work panel in the centre, a segmental-headed doorway to the centre with a lettered banner above, and in each outer bay a low depressed arched window of 2 cusped lights with mouchette and dagger tracery; above the porch, paired 3-light windows (concealed by scaffold screens at time of survey); and a coped gable, the left corner carried up to a stone bellcote with stone chequer-board patterning below the opening. The aisles have buttresses and large arched 3-light windows with cusped lights and elaborate Arts-and-Crafts tracery, except that to the south side of the chancel which has 2-light windows in the side and a 4-light window in the east end, with emphatic tracery. The east gable has a plaque with a central cross, and Gothic lettering "Ad Gloriam Dei" above, "A. MDCC" to the left and "CXCVI D" to the right, and "Jacobus Moorhouse STP/Episcopus/ posuit " below; a large 7-light traceried window, chequer-board patterning above this and a parapet with traceried stone panels at the corners. Interior (as reported 24.04.87): 4-bay aisle arcades of octagonal columns without capitals and tall pointed and chamfered arches; steps up to 3-bay chancel with south arcade and clerestory; low stone wall between nave and chancel, incorporating pulpit; wooden barrel roofs; west gallery; polygonal font with marble columns; fine reredos and lectern by G.F.Bodley (from church of St Edward, Holbeck, Leeds); organ case by Oldrid Scott (from church of St Peter, Northampton).

Listing NGR: SJ8441495852

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 84414 95852

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 04:07:27.